Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Leading Over Early Windows 11 Benchmarks For AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be interested in a comparison with a 3995WX, or whatever Threadripper cpus are out there with 64c/128t and 4 NUMA nodes. Windows 10 can struggle a bit with both of those.

I don't expect there to be much difference for something fairly mainstream like the 5950x.

It's also supposed to be better for intel's upcoming big.little cores, but that's a bit tougher to test.

Comment

Not too surprising. I do CPU benchmarks occasionally with GeekBench, and in all cases (i7-7700HQ, some 8th-gen, 2 Opteron 4386s, FX-8350, 2700X) Linux (Fedora or openSUSE) scored higher than Windows 10 (1809-19043). The Opteron had the largest difference likely because of Windows not being tuned for multi-socket motherboards (had a KCMA-D8).

I have a 2700X now that benches higher on openSUSE TW than Windows 10 19043. And this is with Windows having the Ryzen scheduler improvements (since 1903), and virtually all security and mitigations disabled (no UAC, DEP, CFG, ASLR, SEHOP, real-time defender), vs defaults on openSUSE.

Now if only the games I played could show such improvement on Linux

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      Isn't the requirement to use it internet connection plus ms account ?....sounds like telemetry at its best
      It's not. I installed both 21996 and 22000 without an internet connection and with a local account no problem. That's not to say that could change later, or be different for non-Pro/Enterprise editions though.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        It's not. I installed both 21996 and 22000 without an internet connection and with a local account no problem. That's not to say that could change later, or be different for non-Pro/Enterprise editions though.
        It is still a preview beta. I can remember Previewversion from XP era not needing any CDKey (for obvious reasons).

it seems for the final home version you will need to login at least once! This means without account you cant install it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...1-requirements

Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
        • Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use.
        edit....If you think about that is all they need to track you. They will have the individually and unique hardware ids like MAC address to identify you and for sure you will use that device with Internet connection*. I think that is a plausible and real "telemetry" use case. Combining with the stuff they are already doing with Win 10

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...stic-data-1703

This is full transparency of the win user and frankly really frightening

* I would assume a major change of hardware might need a relogin
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 03 July 2021, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          W11 is looking a lot slower than I expected.
          Ha. I actually expected Windows 11 to be slower than 10 (which was very slow already to begin with).

Comment

Originally posted by MVinhas View Post

We will never know, but I believe that some debugging is enabled.
            I'll never know, that's for sure. I wouldn't use it if you gave to me on a golden platter.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Regardless of monitor width wouldn't the middle, on average, be closer to what you're working on?

Edit: Actually I suppose you could have a really tall monitor, like in portrait mode, and then the top or bottom would be kind of far, on average.
              Exactly, because I don't work with the start menu, but with applications. That's why the old standard was the better one.
              There would also be the possibility to have a program start from the very center of the screen, like with KRunner...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Ha. I actually expected Windows 11 to be slower than 10 (which was very slow already to begin with).
                I never felt windows 10 was slow, why I don't like it is what it does to a user with updates, thats why I don't use it anymore. I personally found how it updates hair pulling.

Thats the main reason I completely said f-it to windows all over again.

I hope manjaro keeps being as good to me as it has, its been a fairly simplistic and non bothersome experience.

Happy computing.
                Last edited by creative; 03 July 2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                  Isn't the requirement to use it internet connection plus ms account ?....sounds like telemetry at its best
                  Can confirm there is zero need for any Microsoft account, can all be done with an offline account. They just make the dialogs and buttons very confusing for you to find that alternative. I might actually make a GIF to make it spread

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

Or MacOS? The launcher, scrollbars look straight from MacOS.
                    Or Chrome OS? The new start menu, esp. when centered, looks an awful lot like Chrome OS's app launcher.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                      Man, go Ubuntu 20.04 LTS!! Thanks Michael

I actually spun up Windows 11 in VirtualBox myself last night. I'm very impressed with it. This could be the one that I use as my daily driver for work when it becomes RTM. (currently using Windows 7 highly customized). Gave Windows 10 a chance far too many times.
                      TPM requirement for W11 in VBox? Is that a negative?

Comment

Working...
                      X