No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD To See Better Low-Level Lock Performance When Heavily Contested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD To See Better Low-Level Lock Performance When Heavily Contested

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD To See Better Low-Level Lock Performance When Heavily Contested

Software running on DragonFlyBSD and making use of pthreads is set to see better performance around low-level locks when heavily contested...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DragonFly BSD seems like a very innovative approach to the BSD OS family, periodically implementing changes that seem really to benefit performance. Thus, I'm confused why it often performs poorly in benchmarks, as here. (I'm genuinely curious; please don't take me for a troll.)

Comment

Originally posted by Eumaios View Post
      DragonFly BSD seems like a very innovative approach to the BSD OS family, periodically implementing changes that seem really to benefit performance. Thus, I'm confused why it often performs poorly in benchmarks, as here. (I'm genuinely curious; please don't take me for a troll.)
      Part of it is HAMMER2 is not a fast filesystem. It's meant to scale and be reliable (allegedly HAMMER/HAMMER2 are used by google for storing gsuite/drive files), low latency and high speed take a backseat to those goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Part of it is HAMMER2 is not a fast filesystem. It's meant to scale and be reliable (allegedly HAMMER/HAMMER2 are used by google for storing gsuite/drive files), low latency and high speed take a backseat to those goals.
        What's your source about Google using HAMMER/HAMMER2? How do they use it? DragonFlyBSD or a Linux fork?

Comment

Working...
        X