Haiku OS Continues Making Progress On RISC-V, Adds Stack Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Continues Making Progress On RISC-V, Adds Stack Protection

Phoronix: Haiku OS Continues Making Progress On RISC-V, Adds Stack Protection

The Haiku open-source operating system inspired by BeOS continues advancing with work ranging from their hardware support and low-level kernel features up through user-interface work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish more user interface sections were like that. Heck, I'd be extatic if systemd, GNOME, or KDE did what they just did in an update: a friggin larger font for a 4K console and scrollbars that get bigger if I make the font bigger.

While I'm not a fan of the Spleen font I'd rather have a font I don't care for and can actually read versus a font that requires a magnifying glass.

Funny Story: Yesterday I blew someone's mind with the CTRL+Scroll shortcut to make websites zoom in and out. He forgot his magnifying glass at home and needed my eyes to read small fonts for him. That's not a joke but it is damn funny. Also puts things into perspective -- what we consider to be easy and intuitive other people wouldn't even consider.

Backstory: They don't like using 3rd party programs or changing system settings. They use their systems as they come installed and call a tech or me if it doesn't work right. I think about people like them every time GNOME Plugins and KDE Bloat are brought up.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Backstory: They don't like using 3rd party programs or changing system settings. They use their systems as they come installed and call a tech or me if it doesn't work right. I think about people like them every time GNOME Plugins and KDE Bloat are brought up.
      As someone who started my career doing on-site computer repair and assisting a technically illiterate parent, I consider the same sort of things but likely not for the same reasons. Although I think it's wrong for a UI to drastically change without a really compelling reason, I start to lose faith in humanity when people:
      * complain about UI changes simply because they're different. Whenever YouTube, Windows, Firefox, Android, Blender, etc all changed things around, there were always people complaining, and making a bigger fuss about it than was warranted. In the case of struggling to find something or a feature you like became missing/unusable, that I totally understand. But when it's just simply "different" and people get in a hissy-fit over it, all that tells me is how unadaptable people really are. Just look at the most recent article about Firefox being updated. The best example of this was when MS Office introduced the "ribbon bar". At first, I hated it and would either use Office 2003 or OpenOffice just to avoid it. But then one day I was stuck using it, and I realized that my preferences were stupid and that the ribbon bar was a dramatic upgrade over the square buttons and menus. It was from that point where I realized I need to actually give something a chance, because not to get philosophical, but hating the misunderstood is much of the reason why the world isn't such a peaceful place.
      * complain about default settings even though they could be easily changed. All this does is say how superficial, impatient, and willfully ignorant you are.
      * refuse to spend 5 minutes installing, learning, or configuring something to otherwise make their lives 10x easier. It bewilders me why so many people willingly make their lives more difficult because they ostensibly don't have 5 minutes to spare, or assume without any attempt that what they're trying to do is too complicated.

</rant>
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 04 June 2021, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        * complain about default settings even though they could be easily changed. All this does is say how superficial, impatient, and willfully ignorant you are.
        I can do you one better. I know someone who refuses to use Brave because the ads are an option period. They're opt-in, they're not default, you have to go out of your way to enable the ads, but they refuse to use it on the grounds that it's an option at all. This is how delusional some people can be.

Comment

It's incredible how fast x512 made haiku run on risc-v emulator (tinyemu). I can't await to see haiku running on qemu risc-v 64bit and later on hardware like the sifive unmatched.

Comment

schmidtbag

The Firefox thread is a good example of a mixed reaction. Some people looked, gave it a chance, didn't like it, and from there either complained or complained while offering up fixes from hidden settings and themes. Other people looked and liked it.

To me that shows that some people go with the flow, use things as-is, and that some people try to tailor their environment to them. Not computers, anything really. The things I've seen people pay for where I thought "5 minutes on YouTube would have saved you hundreds"....

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
              I can do you one better. I know someone who refuses to use Brave because the ads are an option period. They're opt-in, they're not default, you have to go out of your way to enable the ads, but they refuse to use it on the grounds that it's an option at all. This is how delusional some people can be.
              lol yeah, at that point, you might as well say "I just don't want to use it". It's like lying to your friends that you just don't feel like hanging out that night. What's the point of lying? Most people [worth being around] will understand if you're just not in the mood.

The Firefox thread is a good example of a mixed reaction. Some people looked, gave it a chance, didn't like it, and from there either complained or complained while offering up fixes from hidden settings and themes. Other people looked and liked it.

To me that shows that some people go with the flow, use things as-is, and that some people try to tailor their environment to them. Not computers, anything really. The things I've seen people pay for where I thought "5 minutes on YouTube would have saved you hundreds"....
              Did we read the same thread? I remember people being much more negative and nitpicky. "didn't like it" is putting it mildly for some, when some people were saying things like it was the worst UI change in FF history (and got a lot of upvotes, suggesting others reflect the same viewpoint), or other ways of expressing strong disagreement. Sure, some design choices weren't great, but none of themwere bad enough to get all sensationalist about it. But that's my point: people freak out over something that really isn't [much] worse, just simply different, and all they have to do is give it a chance. I don't see how you can really give something a chance in less than a day of using it, particularly when none of the changes were that drastic.

Comment

I wish more user interface sections were like that. Heck, I'd be extatic if systemd, GNOME, or KDE did what they just did in an update: a friggin larger font for a 4K console and scrollbars that get bigger if I make the font bigger.
                That’s actually how Plasma’s DPI setting works: Override the fonts DPI and the whole UI becomes scaled. Consider yourself ecstatic!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

"Prejudice is a great time saver.‭ ‬You can form opinions without having to get the facts.‭" -- ‬E.‭ ‬B.‭ ‬White

Comment

Working...
                    X