Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD 9.2 Released With Many Fixes, Much Faster FREAD

Phoronix: NetBSD 9.2 Released With Many Fixes, Much Faster FREAD

Going along with the recent releases of FreeBSD 13.0, DragonFlyBSD 6.0, and OpenBSD 6.9, NetBSD 9.2 is now available as the latest feature release of this BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actual release on server was on 12th May but release announcement happened today. Otherwise people could update to 9.2 before announcement happened.

Comment

There's no such thing as an "FREAD system call". Fread is (3): the C standard library, while read(2) is the system call that it uses. You might want to track down the source of that unfactoid. Of course orders-of-magnitude improvement to the fread standard library function is still lovely and will help almost all code anyway.

Edit: I just checked the release notes and the improvement is to the fread(3) standard library function, not the kernel. The improvement is only when the stdio stream has been put into unbuffered mode, which is not the usual or default, so this might not impact so many applications after all. Still, improvements are good.
      Last edited by areilly; 17 May 2021, 08:09 PM. Reason: I fact-checked my post at the release notes: https://www.netbsd.org/releases/formal-9/NetBSD-9.2.html

Comment

areilly, it's clearly stated in the article that the performance improvement only applies to unbuffered mode. Based on the title, however, the author has zero clue about what this means, as usual, or that it is a "useless" optimization being so rare an occurrence.

Comment

NetBSD focuses on the performance goal of FreeBSD but also chases the security of OpenBSD. I would love to see the performance comparison of the three.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            NetBSD focuses on the performance goal of FreeBSD but also chases the security of OpenBSD. I would love to see the performance comparison of the three.
            Chases is right because they don't come close to either.

Comment

brad0 NetBSD does accepts patchs :P

This is also interesting https://www.cambus.net/the-state-of-...ins-in-netbsd/

Comment

Working...
              X