No announcement yet.

Plan 9 Copyright Transferred To Foundation, MIT Licensed Code Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations to plan9. They could have tried this new license https://licensezero.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
      Congratulations to plan9. They could have tried this new license https://licensezero.com/
      "License Zero will shut down in 2020." If that's a new license and they are already shutting down, I don't expect any corp lawyer to sign off on it ever. Also, I never recommend people choose a license that isn't mainstream and well understood.

Comment

Palu Macil taking it out of context is not a good way
        "License Zero will shut down in 2020 to make way for an evolved system under a new brand. Join us in the Artless Devices forum to help shape the new platform."

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          If other old projects could "take the pledge" sharing code to be released under a public license say 15-20 years -- that'd be awesome.

This is good news but I can't imagine how it fits into the current technosphere in a useful way.
          You are probably lacking proper imagination then.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

That was so terrible it's hard NOT to love it! xD
            I definitely laughed a little. Cheesy maybe, but not bad!

Comment

Palu Macil taking it out of context is not a good way
              " under a new brand.
              So... is the open license proprietary itself? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Palu Macil View Post

"License Zero will shut down in 2020." If that's a new license and they are already shutting down, I don't expect any corp lawyer to sign off on it ever. Also, I never recommend people choose a license that isn't mainstream and well understood.
                So how did you recommend licences in the past? 'Cause all those mainstream licenses all started out as not-mainstream. You can't become mainstream if no one recommends you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So how did you recommend licences in the past? 'Cause all those mainstream licenses all started out as not-mainstream. You can't become mainstream if no one recommends you.
                  I think the intent was that, now that there are a bunch of licenses that corporate lawyers are familiar with, there's a very strong incentive against further proliferation.

Comment

ssokolow if we thought like that then we would never had Wayland, Linux as BSD , MINIX was already there no need to have Linux or haiku

Comment

ssokolow if we thought like that then we would never had Wayland, Linux as BSD , MINIX was already there no need to have Linux or haiku
                      No, it just means that the weights have changed in calculating when the benefits outweigh the downsides. It's still a pro/con calculation, just like Wayland and Linux... just one where it's much harder to find situations where it makes sense.

See The Real Story Behind Wayland and X - Daniel Stone (linux.conf.au 2013) for why they thought Wayland worth the effort. As for Linux, at the time, Tanenbaum's publisher was requiring that MINIX be under a license that was a deal-breaker for Torvalds and others.

Comment

Working...
                      X