Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13.0-RC3 Released With The WireGuard Driver Removed

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13.0-RC3 Released With The WireGuard Driver Removed

A third and final release candidate of FreeBSD 13.0 was warranted ahead of its formal 13.0-RELEASE later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No question about it; I'm ditching Mint Linux and replacing it with FreeBSD. I've had it with all of Clement Lefebvre's circumlocution.

Has anyone made the observation, "Nobody goes to this much trouble, particularly after all these years of not ONE SINGLE COMMENT about the absolute need for his user base to upgrade. I wonder what his real motivation is."

And why has Mint Linux been absolutely silent about the fact that the developer and maintainer of 'Timeshift' quit approximately a year ago. One can still find 'recommendations' from Mint to use 'Timeshift' to 'solve' some problems which they (Mint) have no other answer for ...they are just buried fairly deeply where they are not readily or easily seen. Mint Linux is NOT going out of its way to talk about the current state (that is: "abandoned") of 'Timeshift', which was once touted to be "The Next Great Thing" by Mint, of course. Now? Not a peep. Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
      No question about it; I'm ditching Mint Linux and replacing it with FreeBSD. I've had it with all of Clement Lefebvre's circumlocution.
      I thought it was called Linux Mint?

Anyway FreeBSD seems like quite a jump from that.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
        I thought it was called Linux Mint?
        The most irrelevant thing.

Comment

danmcgrew Have you ever used any of the BSDs? They are quite frankly a royal pain to get up and running compared to the likes of an Ubuntu/Debian based distro. Getting BSD working is a lot more like trying to get Gentoo working.

Now the big thing here is the removal of wireguard! This was the only reason I was thinking of taking another toe-dip into BSD! I have tried GhostBSD and was ready to try FreeBSD but now I will wait as WG is pretty much critical to anything I a do in the long term (I currently run a WG VPN for my company).

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

The most irrelevant thing.
            Only slightly more relevant than your comment.

I thought it was odd he knew so much about Mint but got the name backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
              Only slightly more relevant than your comment.

I thought it was odd he knew so much about Mint but got the name backwards.
              As if you didn't know what he was talking about because the name was "backwards". Phoronix full of dumbasses as usual.

Comment

You can install wg from ports, works good I think. I haven't noticed problems

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                  danmcgrew Have you ever used any of the BSDs? They are quite frankly a royal pain to get up and running compared to the likes of an Ubuntu/Debian based distro. Getting BSD working is a lot more like trying to get Gentoo working.

Now the big thing here is the removal of wireguard! This was the only reason I was thinking of taking another toe-dip into BSD! I have tried GhostBSD and was ready to try FreeBSD but now I will wait as WG is pretty much critical to anything I a do in the long term (I currently run a WG VPN for my company).
                  WireGuard is still available in ports as the one provided by WireGuard itself. This was just removing the in-kernel, messy / buggy monstrosity that Netgate had in there. The new implementation will be from WireGuard itself.

As for "easier". It depends on what you're familiar with. I have installed Apache / PHP and Nginx / PHP stack on CentOS, Debian, and FreeBSD. The default config files on FreeBSD are WAY, WAY better to read. Like..fully documented with an in-config information / documentation on almost every major setting you'd want to change. I normally take the FreeBSD ones and copy over to CentOS / Debian if I'm doing a one off install. Otherwise, everything is just Ansibled out anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me. CentOS / Debian might be easier to get "something" working, but if you want to tweak and take the next steps to medium to advanced settings / manage your config then FreeBSD is way better.

Comment

For desktop usage it's awful, unless you do nothing else but endless tinkering with your computer. It's fun as a one-off exercise, but it becomes a chore if you have to do it often.

For servers I'd assume it doesn't matter much. CLI is the same for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                    X