Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD: Sway Compositor Can Run While KDE Plasma On Wayland Is Still A Work-In-Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I suppose it's just "pick your favourite"...

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
      Well, I suppose it's just "pick your favourite"...

Very odd to have Debian wallpaper on FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Very odd to have Debian wallpaper on FreeBSD.
        VM

The taskbar on taskbar with KDE gives it away.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

VM

The taskbar on taskbar with KDE gives it away.
          VM, yes. You can see the VirtualBox menu and status lines on top and bottom. Did not want to pollute my host system with this comparison install.

Code:
          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54ff54][B]user@machine[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ cat /etc/debian_version  [/COLOR]
          bullseye/sid[/FONT]

Comment

Same comparison with (unusual) smaller screen sizes...

Quite the difference... 😖
            Last edited by reba; 19 March 2021, 04:44 PM. Reason: changed Gnome's background image to what the others were using

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

VM, yes. You can see the VirtualBox menu and status lines on top and bottom. Did not want to pollute my host system with this comparison install.

Code:
              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54ff54][B]user@machine[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ cat /etc/debian_version [/COLOR]
              bullseye/sid[/FONT]
              Ah. I wasn't sure if the top bar was VirtualBox or some sort of AppMenu.

Comment

The reality here is we are in the active deployment stages of Wayland and the deprecation of bare metal X11 servers. RHEL 8 with default as Wayland Gnome in 2019 was the start of this process.

Yes as normal in graphical Freebsd and other BSD is a little lagging behind.

Windows managers and Desktop environments for X11 without a Wayland plan and some progress are well and truly in trouble.

Fun how a few people posted that if Linux main distributions went wayland they would be able to remain on BSD for a while.

Yes these changes in freebsd also makes NVidia need to update their driver to support Wayland more critical.

I have seen no one on the Mac OS side working on a Wayland compatibility layer. Stupid enough WSL for Windows is working on Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

"WTF is this shit. K this. K that. Did the KKK design this?".
                  good grief... why do people wet themselves over trivia?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

This! Windows 10 is also using taskbar features from KDE (and customizations). Windows 10 also has native virtual desktop support, although this is something that X stole in 1989. AFAIK that comes from Patrick Chan in 1984. He was the real MPV.
                    If I remember correctly windows API allows for virtual desktops since w2k.

Personally I think it's not the most important feature

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
                      good grief... why do people wet themselves over trivia?
                      You've never peed yourself in shame because you didn't know some odd trivia?

Comment

Working...
                      X