Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD: Sway Compositor Can Run While KDE Plasma On Wayland Is Still A Work-In-Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    So pretty much the same as Linux.

Even Windows is copying KDE features. Seriously. The latest Win10 Virtual Desktop setup is really similar to KDE Activities....only HORIZONTAL
    This! Windows 10 is also using taskbar features from KDE (and customizations). Windows 10 also has native virtual desktop support, although this is something that X stole in 1989. AFAIK that comes from Patrick Chan in 1984. He was the real MPV.

I've only played one game with AutoHDR, NFS Hot Pursuit, and it seemed like it was working well enough. All the rest of the games I'm currently playing have native HDR.
    If you don't mind - what screen, cable(hdmi|dp), and driver are you using?

Comment

And it's making Windows more appealing. It's picking up the features that I use Linux and the Plasma desktop for (and aside from games Linux and FreeBSD are interchangeable there). 10, 11 years ago I'd have never thought that Google would become unappealing while Microsoft became more appealing as Apple Appled.

A TCL 55s434, HDMI 2.0, Radeon 21.3.1. While it's an HDR display, "HDR" is more descriptive of it compared to higher end sets. Still, I like it in HDR mode over standard.

I had horrible results with the driver Windows Insider automatically switched me to.

Comment

I was the opposite. GNOME 2 kicked ass and made me a Linux convert. KDE 3 and 4 were both "WTF is this shit. K this. K that. Did the KKK design this?". However, GNOME 3 was, and still is, "WTF is this shit, burn it with fire". XFCE was my last safe refuge....and then they adopted GTK3. Well, to make a long story short, ended up on Plasma 5 after years of cobbling together stuff with the Boxes and other minimalist setups.
        Was a Xfce user since the early 2010s, sworn on that, hated Gnome and everything that was not that copy of the Windows 95 principles. But then I had a good day and gave Gnome 3 a fair try and what should I say, it was so damn good. I never looked back to Xfce for my Workstation usage. It is such a lovely fast experience.
        I was truly stupid for not giving it a fair try for some many years, I see myself in you, the stubbornness and the refusal to try something or rather anything new. But I am better now and learned to give things a fair try, like I give KDE a fair try from time to time just to see that it is still this borderline unusable mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I can't confirm that, because GNOME has far less different code paths, because it is not as customizable as KDE.
          The KDE user needs a checkbox for everything, but that's limiting. Plasmoids are equally limiting. KDE themes in their stiffness are equally limiting.
          A desktop where every mod is just a patch applied with one button click, that is truly limitless.
          A double win, the desktop maintainers have less work to do checking every possible config users may have, and people maintaining this UX/UI patch they care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Was a Xfce user since the early 2010s, sworn on that, hated Gnome and everything that was not that copy of the Windows 95 principles. But then I had a good day and gave Gnome 3 a fair try and what should I say, it was so damn good. I never looked back to Xfce for my Workstation usage. It is such a lovely fast experience.
            I was truly stupid for not giving it a fair try for some many years, I see myself in you, the stubbornness and the refusal to try something or rather anything new. But I am better now and learned to give things a fair try, like I give KDE a fair try from time to time just to see that it is still this borderline unusable mess.
            Fair enough. Every time I've tried it I ended up dealing with update plugin issues. GNOME, to me, isn't the best desktop for a rolling release user. If I was an LTS distribution user I'd have different opinions of it.

FWIW, truly stupid describes me and KDE for 12 or 13 years

Comment

So pretty much the same as Linux.
              Even Windows is copying KDE features. Seriously. The latest Win10 Virtual Desktop setup is really similar to KDE Activities....only HORIZONTAL .
              Copied from KDE or AmigaOS? I haven't seen the latest Win 10 virtual desktops, but AmigaOS has horizontal virtual desktops (and has had so ever since at least the 90's).

Comment

I was the opposite. GNOME 2 kicked ass and made me a Linux convert. KDE 3 and 4 were both "WTF is this shit. K this. K that. Did the KKK design this?".
                As opposed to GNOME which didn't have apps like gFTP, gThumb, Guake... oh wait. [/sarcasm]

So either you're trying to bash KDE 3/4 or you just don't like the letter 'K' and prefer the letter 'G' in front of apps. In which case you did like Gwenview in KDE 3/4 since that was one of the few KDE apps with a 'G'.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                  KDE themes in their stiffness are equally limiting.
                  I guess you've never used Kvantum or QSvgStyle? Both are far from limited - the latter even has more config options than KDE, TDE and Xfce combined! (and no, I'm not kidding: it really is *that* extensive)

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I can't confirm that, because GNOME has far less different code paths, because it is not as customizable as KDE.
                    Well, I always managed to get GNOME stuff to crash left, right, and center, just by configuring it within the official limits offered and using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Copied from KDE or AmigaOS? I haven't seen the latest Win 10 virtual desktops, but AmigaOS has horizontal virtual desktops (and has had so ever since at least the 90's).
                      It's really similar to KDE Activities only the different desktop selections go across the top of the screen instead of down the left side....and it has this timeline feature. Haven't really found the timeline to be useful, but it has barely been 24 hours so I'll give it some time to actually build stuff up before really reviewing it.

But it is almost like what GNOME 40 is coming out with blended with what KDE already has.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

As opposed to GNOME which didn't have apps like gFTP, gThumb, Guake... oh wait. [/sarcasm]

So either you're trying to bash KDE 3/4 or you just don't like the letter 'K' and prefer the letter 'G' in front of apps. In which case you did like Gwenview in KDE 3/4 since that was one of the few KDE apps with a 'G'.
                      I never really did get into KDE 3. I was always happy enough with GNOME 2.x and didn't feel the need to explore other Linux desktops until this one day I updated my system and my beloved Gedit became something unrecognizable and unusable to me. So were a bunch of other programs. I was introduced to GTK3 that day...and to the world of all the different Linux desktop environments. I suppose I should thank the GNOME team for making something so horrible my first reaction was to expand my horizons.

KDE 4.something was my first foray into the KDE world. I found it to be....different. 4.x quickly went into my "burn it with fire" category due to it being really colorful to the point of being obnoxious and it had a bunch of settings that threw me into settings overload. XFCE was still GTK2 back then so I moved over to it and was really happy for a good while. Once it started transitioning over to GTK3 I realized it was the beginning of the end so I started trying all sorts of minimalist setups until one day I saw some screenshots of KDE Plasma 5.4 or 5.6, gave it another try, and I've been a Kool-Aid drinking KDE user ever since. I ROFL'd when the "very bloated" desktop environment ran just as light as my minimalist XFCE and Fluxbox setups.

FWIW, I find both the G-this and K-that to be equally annoying. I have advertisement overload bad enough from TV and going out in public; I don't want it from my app names either.

Comment

Working...
                      X