Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD: Sway Compositor Can Run While KDE Plasma On Wayland Is Still A Work-In-Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD: Sway Compositor Can Run While KDE Plasma On Wayland Is Still A Work-In-Progress

Phoronix: FreeBSD: Sway Compositor Can Run While KDE Plasma On Wayland Is Still A Work-In-Progress

It's been a while since hearing much about Wayland efforts on FreeBSD, but it turns out the Sway i3-inspired Wayland compositor can run on this BSD after a number of setup steps. However, the likes of KDE Plasma on Wayland still aren't working well outside of Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't care about Wayland as long as KDE runs on X without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
      ...as long as KDE runs on X without problems.
      It never did, not in a single iteration in the last 25 KDE years.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        I can personally attest that KDE is far less buggy than GNOME and always has been. That disconnect in perceived quality is called "different use-cases exercising different code paths" or "of course it'll seem nice and bug-free if you use it the same way the developers do".

Historically (eg. KDE 3 vs. GNOME 2), this manifested itself as KDE users seeing GNOME as a horrendous, buggy mess and GNOME users seeing KDE as a horrendous, buggy mess... and both being absolutely correct because they were testing different parts of the code.

Comment

So pretty much the same as Linux.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          Yet it's still better and more innovative than GNOME.

Even Windows is copying KDE features. Seriously. The latest Win10 Virtual Desktop setup is really similar to KDE Activities....only HORIZONTAL

I've only played one game with AutoHDR, NFS Hot Pursuit, and it seemed like it was working well enough. All the rest of the games I'm currently playing have native HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I can personally attest that KDE is far less buggy than GNOME and always has been. That disconnect in perceived quality is called "different use-cases exercising different code paths" or "of course it'll seem nice and bug-free if you use it the same way the developers do".

Historically (eg. KDE 3 vs. GNOME 2), this manifested itself as KDE users seeing GNOME as a horrendous, buggy mess and GNOME users seeing KDE as a horrendous, buggy mess... and both being absolutely correct because they were testing different parts of the code.
            I was the opposite. GNOME 2 kicked ass and made me a Linux convert. KDE 3 and 4 were both "WTF is this shit. K this. K that. Did the KKK design this?". However, GNOME 3 was, and still is, "WTF is this shit, burn it with fire". XFCE was my last safe refuge....and then they adopted GTK3. Well, to make a long story short, ended up on Plasma 5 after years of cobbling together stuff with the Boxes and other minimalist setups.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
              Don't care about Wayland as long as KDE runs on X without problems.
              This is exactly the reason why Wayland was created.

My fondest memory on Linux desktop is KDE 3.5 days. It's logical even to me that X has no future...

Unless you have unlimited money and want to fund development. You can do what Facebook did with PHP... yikes!

Comment

Been running sway on my FreeBSD laptop (ThinkPad E531) for a few days now. Haven't noticed any real issues. Now I just need to learn how to customise it (I always found ways to quickly break i3 whenever I tried it, so never got much into it).

Comment

I tried Hikari a while ago, on FreeBSD 12.2, and it was working fine. But I didn't do an extensive test.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I can't confirm that, because GNOME has far less different code paths, because it is not as customizable as KDE.

Comment

Working...
                    X