FreeBSD 13.0-RC2 Released With ZFS Fixes, WireGuard Interface Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13.0-RC2 Released With ZFS Fixes, WireGuard Interface Fixes

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13.0-RC2 Released With ZFS Fixes, WireGuard Interface Fixes

If all goes well FreeBSD 13.0 will be officially released before the end of the month while out this weekend is the second release candidate for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really looking forward to this 13 release, particularly with CentOS 8 being a dead end now. I have a number of CentOS appliances, doing things like network routing and serving NFS shares, that should be pretty straightforward to migrate them over to FreeBSD. With native OpenZFS 2.0 now, I wonder if it will support native ZFS encryption on the pool, vs. having to use GELI on each individual block device?

Edit: also hoping with 13 we can now run VM's directly on a zvol?
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 March 2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      With native OpenZFS 2.0 now, I wonder if it will support native ZFS encryption on the pool, vs. having to use GELI on each individual block device?
      Yes it will, it is one of the features I am looking forward to the most as well!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Really looking forward to this 13 release, particularly with CentOS 8 being a dead end now. I have a number of CentOS appliances, doing things like network routing and serving NFS shares, that should be pretty straightforward to migrate them over to FreeBSD. With native OpenZFS 2.0 now, I wonder if it will support native ZFS encryption on the pool, vs. having to use GELI on each individual block device?

Edit: also hoping with 13 we can now run VM's directly on a zvol?
        Run VMs via bhyve on a zVol? You can already do that.

Comment

Been using Linux since the last Ice Age. Am thoroughly tired of the 'only-a-hobby', 'not-a-project' development work and effort of the developers, to say nothing of the (lack of semblance of any form of) mentality on the part of the brain-dead users--who force the developers into this position.

The blockhead, insane users can be ignored--and I do--but one can't ignore the jerks who are supposed to be the experts, and yet who crank out this--now--shit on a depressingly real schedule of every six months. And then SOME have the unmitigated gall to whine and complain, via multi-page, posted-everywhere "position papers" that their 'users' are real, thoroughly ungrateful idiots for not upgrading their (the developer's) incredibly precious distribution.
          I've got one big clue for you Clem, errrr, Sherlock: I've been running 17.3 on several desktops and laptops since 17.3 was new, and have never, EVER upgraded. Guess what? I read your 'Echo Chambers'--called 'The Mint Blog' and 'Mint forums' regularly. They are FILLED with nothing but the trials, tribulations, and 'wailing and gnashing of teeth' of ALL the people who just cannot wait to upgrade...and then have your vaunted distribution break on them...continually; after every upgrade.
          I have never had one bug or regression in all the time I've been running my non-upgraded, AT ALL, version of Mint Linux 17.3, on all those machines. Tell me, and us, again: why should we upgrade?

I'm switching to FreeBSD (and CentOS 7 for a real Linux, for the next four years).

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
            I have never had one bug or regression in all the time I've been running my non-upgraded, AT ALL, version of Mint Linux 17.3, on all those machines. Tell me, and us, again: why should we upgrade?
            As an old school Linux user myself, I can relate, but don't expect your distro to continuously backport security and stability patches. Obviously as a code base progresses it gets more and more difficult to support an older snapshot, and eventually they have to draw a line.

I have a couple FreeBSD 11 machines myself that I'll need to decide what to do with soon.

Comment

Comment

FreeBSD 13 is a great upgrade from 12. I finally upgraded my UFS laptop to GELI encrypted ZFS Root. very easy process.

Comment

Are there any good uses for x86-32 freebsd these days? (not a flame)

I could imagine that some software consumes a little bit less memory because of smaller pointer sizes. OTOH the speed from having 15 GPRs is pretty significative.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsuroerusu View Post

Yes it will, it is one of the features I am looking forward to the most as well!
                    Same, native ZFS encryption is really nice. They did a really good job implementing it and it's so nice not to have an encryption folder be a virtual disk.

Comment

Working...
                    X