Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haiku Seeing Much Faster HTTP Code, Support For Downloading Files Larger Than 4GB

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Haiku Seeing Much Faster HTTP Code, Support For Downloading Files Larger Than 4GB

    Phoronix: Haiku Seeing Much Faster HTTP Code, Support For Downloading Files Larger Than 4GB

    Over the past month developers on Haiku as the open-source operating system inspired by BeOS have continued advancing the project...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ments-Feb-2021

  • #2
    Michael, it's great to see you covering alternatives like Haiku OS

    Comment


    • #3
      These 4GB limits really suck. Very glad to see another one bite the dust.

      On Android I sort of had that limitation recently -- Windows 10 wouldn't download because the iso was over 4GB. It wasn't until the 2nd failed download that I realized it was Fat32 and not a bad download. HTTP....FAT....either way it sucks when you can't do what you need to do.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
        Michael, it's great to see you covering alternatives like Haiku OS
        I agree!

        Comment


        • #5
          Sometimes I wonder if Haiku would be better off if Be had open-sourced the whole OS and not just Tracker. The companies that fiddled with BeOS's code after Be went under didn't achieve anything but maim and kill what was once a great OS.
          Last edited by angrypie; 08 March 2021, 10:01 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

            I agree!
            Obsoletely. Even though there is an odd type of hostility towards Linux in the Haiku community. Didn‘t care enough to figure out where that was coming from.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

              Obsoletely. Even though there is an odd type of hostility towards Linux in the Haiku community. Didn‘t care enough to figure out where that was coming from.
              Not sure I've seen any hostility to Linux. People on #haiku are very friendly in general. Basically they like the BeOS ethos and Linux or a fork of it simply doesn't fit well with it. Sure there are people trying to convince them otherwise but I don't see that they defending their choices as hostility.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

                Obsoletely. Even though there is an odd type of hostility towards Linux in the Haiku community. Didn‘t care enough to figure out where that was coming from.
                Haiku is essentially a toy OS, so their community is used to getting tons of flack about "why don't you just use Linux" when the whole point is that they are interested in Haiku. I suspect there is just some natural defensiveness you ran into there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

                  Not sure I've seen any hostility to Linux. People on #haiku are very friendly in general. Basically they like the BeOS ethos and Linux or a fork of it simply doesn't fit well with it. Sure there are people trying to convince them otherwise but I don't see that they defending their choices as hostility.
                  Indeed.
                  Plus given the fact that they get the same question: Why not simply run Haiku user mode on the Linuix kernel every couple of days, One can understand their general WE-ARE-NOT-LINUX state of mind.

                  Be that as it may, I've been following Haiku for years (running it on an oVirt VM) now and I find their progress in recent years nothing short of amazing.

                  - Gilboa
                  Devel: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 32GB, 6x2TB, 1x256GB-SSD, GTX1080, F33, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
                  oVirt: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 96GB, 10x2TB, GTX550, CentOS8.3.
                  Win10: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 5x1TB, GTX980, Win10Pro.
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33, Dell U2711.
                  Laptop: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F33.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

                    Haiku is essentially a toy OS, so their community is used to getting tons of flack about "why don't you just use Linux" when the whole point is that they are interested in Haiku. I suspect there is just some natural defensiveness you ran into there.
                    Can be said same for desktop linux. Only place it's not "toy os" are LTS distros used for production purposes, like virtualization and server. Maybe odd LTS production desktop in companies as well. For the rest, users have to love fiddling and fixing it to be using it month after month. Non-LTS breaks too often.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X