FreeBSD 13.0-RC1 Released With TCP Performance Improvement, Other Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13.0-RC1 Released With TCP Performance Improvement, Other Fixes

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13.0-RC1 Released With TCP Performance Improvement, Other Fixes

With plans of formally releasing FreeBSD 13.0 at month's end, FreeBSD 13.0-RC1 is available this weekend and on-schedule for helping to test and evaluate this forthcoming major BSD operating system update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Technically i386 i486 and i586 should still be supported by FreeBSD 13.0, you just have to compile EVERYTHING from source. Conceivably, you would start from a 12.x release then manually upgrade to 13.0 by compiling world and the kernel. Then of course you would have to compile any third party application from ports with custom cflags. A very slow process for processors of that age.

Comment

I installed this yesterday in VirtualBox. Nothing fancy yet other than setting up some basic things (adding sudo, nano, micro, and bash.) But I'll eventually create so additional virtual disks and play with ZFS more. We have some ZFS usage at work, so practical in those regards and also just want to get a better feel of it. I was anticipating the code merge between the Linux and FreeBSD ZFS stuff, so cool to see this as default now. Before I had to add the OpenZFS modules that iXsystems maintained, and in fact had traded some emails with someone on their end, and I think this happened sooner than maybe even they were expecting. Glad to see this made it into 13.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        Technically i386 i486 and i586 should still be supported by FreeBSD 13.0, you just have to compile EVERYTHING from source. Conceivably, you would start from a 12.x release then manually upgrade to 13.0 by compiling world and the kernel. Then of course you would have to compile any third party application from ports with custom cflags. A very slow process for processors of that age.
        586 sure, but not 486 and definitely not 386.
        Last edited by brad0; 07 March 2021, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          I should add that in a jail or a VM its relatively trivial to build a release distribution including install media with your custom build options.

Another technique I use sometimes is building world/kernel in a jail on my dual socket machine and nfs mount /usr/src and /usr/obj into the target machine and do a make installkernel/installworld there.

Comment

Weird it phases out i486... at this point an i686 is equally ancient. Could as well leave the compatibility!

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir86 View Post
              Weird it phases out i486... at this point an i686 is equally ancient. Could as well leave the compatibility!
              FreeBSD is an operating system used to power modern servers, desktops, and embedded platforms.

There were several factors taken into account for this change. For example, i486 does not have 64-bit atomics, and while they can be emulated in the kernel, they cannot be emulated in the userland. Additionally, the 32-bit amd64 libraries have been i686 since their inception.
              I am a bit surprised that 32-bit amd64 libraries are i686 instead of x86-64. it doesn't really make sense not to take advantage of SSE2 for those.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

FreeBSD is an operating system used to power modern servers, desktops, and embedded platforms.

I am a bit surprised that 32-bit amd64 libraries are i686 instead of x86-64. it doesn't really make sense not to take advantage of SSE2 for those.
                Makes sense. Nice to learn a bit more about binaries.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

I just checked share/mk/bsd.compat.mk and the 32-bit compat libs are indeed built as -march=i686 -mmmx -msse -msse2

Comment

Working...
                  X