Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NomadBSD 1.4 Released With GUI For Easier Chrome / Brave / Vivaldi Browser Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NomadBSD 1.4 Released With GUI For Easier Chrome / Brave / Vivaldi Browser Installation

Phoronix: NomadBSD 1.4 Released With GUI For Easier Chrome / Brave / Vivaldi Browser Installation

NomadBSD 1.4 is out today as the latest feature update to this operating system that is one of the BSD-based desktop initiatives...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Downloaded. Will try in a VM, then on bare metal when I can repurpose a box short-term. The Distrowatch annoucement says it's based on Openbox?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      wifimgr has replaced NetworkManager,
      Did you mean NetworkMgr has replaced wifimgr?

Furthermore, despite the similar name, it is not NetworkManager. This part is misleading.

Comment

Sounds pretty good! Been meaning to look for something else to install on my older bedside box since Ubuntu MATE literally just stopped supporting x86 a month after I installed it. I think I'll give this a shot.

Comment

Will give it a go again in my old HP Probook laptop. Last release didn't even boot on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
            Sounds pretty good! Been meaning to look for something else to install on my older bedside box since Ubuntu MATE literally just stopped supporting x86 a month after I installed it. I think I'll give this a shot.
            Hi, you should pay attention to the last bullet point of their release notes:
            "Bad news for i386 users: Since drm-legacy-kmod is now obsolete, there is no i386 support for accelerated graphics for Intel and ATI/AMD cards aymore."

Comment

Originally posted by benoflondon View Post

Hi, you should pay attention to the last bullet point of their release notes:
              "Bad news for i386 users: Since drm-legacy-kmod is now obsolete, there is no i386 support for accelerated graphics for Intel and ATI/AMD cards aymore."
              That is just for the Linux ported drivers. For older i386 machines they can often fall back on the original FreeBSD drivers which are accelerated (but not KMS). This is for upstream FreeBSD anyway. The NomadBSD redistribution may have made unsupported modifications preventing this.

Comment

Tested in VM : very responsive, low ressources, good stuff of softwares, polished and good looking desktop with the dock.

The nomad concept with USB device embedding is interesting (but idk whicj is the public aimed)

I tried to install it on my Intel Stick with tiny proc' and RAM, and i've got full of errors during process. I gave it up.

Comment

Working...
                X