FreeBSD 13 BETA2 Released With Working 32-bit Builds, Kernel TLS Offload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13 BETA2 Released With Working 32-bit Builds, Kernel TLS Offload

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13 BETA2 Released With Working 32-bit Builds, Kernel TLS Offload

Following last weekend's release of FreeBSD 13 BETA1, the second beta is now available for testing this big BSD operating system update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could a FreeBSD user comment on how well their virtualized environments work in regards to both Linux and Windows with GPU passthrough for 3d gaming. Is the software they have available good enough or would some Linux be a better option? Thanks.

Comment

Can't wait for benchmarks against Linux (on AMD and Intel). This FreeBSD release looks very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Could a FreeBSD user comment on how well their virtualized environments work in regards to both Linux and Windows with GPU passthrough for 3d gaming. Is the software they have available good enough or would some Linux be a better option? Thanks.
        bhyve just started getting GPU passthrough functionality in the last couple of months. If memory serves me, intel apu's are working. AMD dgpu are experimental, and AMD apus are in the early stages.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I follow progress closely because it is a functionality I require for work. I would say it's probably not production ready, but if you're just dicking around wanting to play games in Windows, it probably works well enough if you have a supported device and don't mind cutting some teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I never used it but I would think that if your purpose is 3d gaming then running virtualized Linux on FreeBSD with GPU passthrough is the worst possible way to do it.
          The best solution so far is (unfortunately) to have a dedicated Windows computer for gaming.
          Linux is basically usable as a gaming platform, with caveats depending on your hardware configuration and with a smaller library of titles available (wine included)
          FreeBSD is just not suitable for that use case and honestly I don't see the point of attempting it.

Comment

Interesting that they are still supporting 32bit builds, does FreeBSD have a user base that relies on that type of hardware?

Comment

It appears that freebsd-update is working for BETA2 (was not working for BETA1)

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                Interesting that they are still supporting 32bit builds, does FreeBSD have a user base that relies on that type of hardware?
                32-bit x86 has been demoted to tier 2 for FreeBSD 13 and onwards, so it's definitely in decline.

Comment

Thanks. Sucks that y'all confirmed what I was able Google up on the subject.

Comment

I was watching a video about the TLS in Kernel today and it increased web site throughput by 50gbits/s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc0QRdxVv3g there is the link to the video. I am just curious why the other BSDs don't pick this up?

Comment

Working...
                    X