helloSystem Wants To Be The "macOS of BSDs" With A Polished Desktop Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
    Linux is the only OS ( and Windows obviously ) with a decent support for the 4313 aka 43131.
    Yep, I have loads of hardware that doesn't work with free operating systems. I put it in storage and try it again every 5 or so years. Good hardware is almost free these days, I personally do not feel like compromising on the OS I want to run, just to use a ratty bit of hardware that will probably break due to wear and tear within 2-3 years anyway. Swap it on-line

Good for me. Not so good for the casual user. Then they go around talking about how "FreeBSD doesn't work".
    Honestly the casual user wouldn't even be trying FreeBSD (or Linux). In 10 years, they will all be using locked down phones or web browsers anyway. It sounds weird but the casual user is a niche use-case in modern computing. They will be using appliances, not "proper" computers.

As for people going around saying how "FreeBSD doesn't work". I don't think anyone listens to them because people can see that it does work. Someone saying a TV doesn't work because they are using it under water are people that often don't get listened to.

The problem is that opensource OSes are marketed as capable of running everywhere.
    They are capable of running everywhere. Everywhere being where there is a skilled developer with an interest in the specific hardware
    This "works anywhere" is a little oversold. Linux is the closest to this unobtainable ideal however. If they drop i686 support, it would be less close however.

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Maybe I'm growing old but I don't know why these guis are needed in the first place. It's not like there is any workflow or speed advantages over a terminal and a tiling wm - probably rather the opposite. Makes sense for touch inputs, but I doubt they even considered that ...
    It is a failure of the education system. From 1990 onwards, school children in their IT lessons have been told that DOS is old, Windows is new. They have then incorrectly related CLI to be DOS which is old, and GUI to be Windows, which is new. Times will change (and go the other way). But it will take exactly one generation to unlearn this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Its kernel isn't BSD based. It is Mach based [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_(kernel)] . A microkernel very different to the monolithic BSD / Linux ones.
      While the original Mach was a microkernel, macOS' XNU kernel is definitely not a microkernel. XNU is a mixture of mach and FreeBSD kernel code, people only call it a "hybrid" kernel because it still uses some of mach's message passing even though all components are in kernel space.

Comment

Who and why exactly concluded that macos (or whatever next had) is a good design? Besides the apple-thralls that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          still uses some of mach's message passing even though all components are in kernel space.
          You are right. I did oversimplify it. Though arguably the message passing is the single most important part of a micro-kernel so I think the 'hybrid' label is still fair (for now).

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
            Who and why exactly concluded that macos (or whatever next had) is a good design? Besides the apple-thralls that is.
            Who and why exactly concluded that Windows is a good design? Why every desktop should follow Windows guidelines instead of NeXT/macOS?

About this project I'm not really sure if FreeBSD is good choice (despite I like it). Hardware and software (mainly closed source) compatibility are inferior compared to Linux. Especially laptop users won't be happy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Who and why exactly concluded that Windows is a good design? Why every desktop should follow Windows guidelines instead of NeXT/macOS?

About this project I'm not really sure if FreeBSD is good choice (despite I like it). Hardware and software (mainly closed source) compatibility are inferior compared to Linux. Especially laptop users won't be happy about that.
              Non-sequitur? The comment you are responding to said nothing about Windows.

The comment merely pointed out (correctly, IMO) that the OSX DE is a hot mess and certainly not something to aspire to from a usability perspective. Surely we can objectively agree that having a File menu detached from the application it relates to makes very little sense in the multi-monitor era, as one example.

Can't think of a good reason why these guys wouldn't just get KDE running on Free BSD. I have to assume their target audience is system admins and developers, and for those use cases, KDE is miles ahead of Windows or OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by deck View Post
                The comment merely pointed out (correctly, IMO) that the OSX DE is a hot mess and certainly not something to aspire to from a usability perspective.
                According to whom?

Originally posted by deck View Post
                Surely we can objectively agree that having a File menu detached from the application it relates to makes very little sense in the multi-monitor era, as one example.
                I don't think we can.
                By default with multiple displays you have one top bar per display, with the menu of the app focused on that display

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

The HD 3470 works on Windows 10 with Vista drivers. That's > 10 years of binary driver compatibility. Linux binary drivers can't even survive a minor kernel difference.

Sure, keep telling yourself that 20-year-old products aren't ancient.
                  XP driver model was different, forcing XP drivers on post-Vista OS gets you BSOD. Vista drivers on 7, 7 drivers on 10 "might" work. Often dont, sometimes do.
                  But have to agree that Windows has invested far more effort into retaining backwards binary compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Hardware support in FreeBSD is not so bad: over 90% of popular hardware is supported!
                    https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/h...pported.76466/

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                      Public opinion, I suppose. Which is not my opinion. I like simple intuitive fast desktops (like LXDE, XFCE, and LXQT). Apple used to have one, too - a very long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X