FreeBSD 13.0-BETA1 Released With WireGuard, Updated ZFS, NUMA Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13.0-BETA1 Released With WireGuard, Updated ZFS, NUMA Optimizations

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13.0-BETA1 Released With WireGuard, Updated ZFS, NUMA Optimizations

FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE is aiming to debut before the end of March and there is good chances of that with the FreeBSD 13.0 release process so far being on schedule. With that, this weekend marks the availability of FreeBSD 13.0-BETA1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I didn't see it get covered on Phoronix but it's important to note that 13.x series sees 32bit x86 support drop to tier 2 support and that the precompiled binaries come in i686 form at that.

Comment

It also supports Intels HWP now

Comment

FreeBSD 13 also has greatly improved POWER support. The system compiler has changed from GCC 4.2.1 (!) to Clang 11 and the ABI is now ELFv2.

Comment

FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE is aiming to debut before the end of March and there is good chances of that with the FreeBSD 13.0 release process so far being on schedule. With that, this weekend marks the availability of FreeBSD 13.0-BETA1.

Can you simplify the above sentence so that the message is easily understood. My simplification follows.

FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE is aiming to debut before the end of March and there is good chances of that happening. The FreeBSD 13.0 release process so far is on schedule. This weekend marks the availability of FreeBSD 13.0-BETA1.

Use the KISS approach to writing. (Keep It Simple S)

Comment

I tried FreeBSD 12.0-stable and FreeBSD13.0-BETA on an old laptop with an AMD Radeon card 3470HD card with a 3200HD in Hybrid Crossfire.

In both cases, X refused to start on startx, refused to perform Xorg -configure (keeps returning errors about no screens found or some other issue), and simply refuses to use to vesa driver even though i edited xorg.conf to do so while removing any references to the unused 3200HD.

And when I tried to run pkg install drm-kmod drm-legacy-kmod to install the radeon driver, the system immediately hardlocked. In contrast, Windows 10 + latest legacy AMD drivers worked like a charm.

No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              I tried FreeBSD 12.0-stable and FreeBSD13.0-BETA on an old laptop with an AMD Radeon card 3470HD card with a 3200HD in Hybrid Crossfire.

In both cases, X refused to start on startx, refused to perform Xorg -configure (keeps returning errors about no screens found or some other issue), and simply refuses to use to vesa driver even though i edited xorg.conf to do so while removing any references to the unused 3200HD.

And when I tried to run pkg install drm-kmod drm-legacy-kmod to install the radeon driver, the system immediately hardlocked. In contrast, Windows 10 + latest legacy AMD drivers worked like a charm.

No thanks.
              Seriously..? That card was made before AMD bought ATI. That card is abandonware.. maybe it works maybe it doesn't.. (i would try the built in drivers, no packages) but why are you even trying to install X? Building FreeBSD into a desktop is level 3 man. I know polaris and vega cards work, haven't tried navi.. but.. try GhostBSD, start at level 1.

Actually did you say laptop? just no...
              Last edited by k1e0x; 09 February 2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X