Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPNsense 21.1 Open-Source Firewall/Router Platform Released

Phoronix: OPNsense 21.1 Open-Source Firewall/Router Platform Released

If changes around pfSense land have you looking at other possible open-source firewall/router options, OPNsense that forked from pfSense six years ago is out with its newest feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad you can't buy COTS hardware preinstalled with this.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Too bad you can't buy COTS hardware preinstalled with this.
      Deciso sells products with Opnsense preinstalled.

Comment

My opnsensebox is upgrading as of writing this. At least I think it does. No errors on the console and the hard drive is blinking happily. It has been this way for over an hour now so I got my fingers crossed.... But even if it breaks this time I have not much if anything wrong to say about opnsense. They have really cleaned up and made things easy and structured. I have had one programming error/crash detected by opnsense itself and that was fixed in a couple of days. They are usually delayed about one month behind their release schedule but they release every six months with plenty of improvements in between. Well done, I was not sure that I believed their bold claims when they forked but do far they have not disappointed one bit!

Edit: And now, a couple of hours later- opnsense is up and running without a single glitch! Have no idea how long the upgrade took other than passing the 1hour mark , but let this be a warning to others - don't assume the upgrade hung, just wait longer!
        Last edited by waxhead; 28 January 2021, 04:49 PM.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Your box on the low-end of the hwardware spectrum, and using spinning rust as opposed to flash tech? An hour seems a little long of an upgrade these days short of low spec gear.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            Your box on the low-end of the hwardware spectrum, and using spinning rust as opposed to flash tech? An hour seems a little long of an upgrade these days short of low spec gear.
            Actually it is pretty much the same as my main computer. Core 2 duo with 4gb ram. Actually the upgrade took 2h20m and there is one other on the OPNsense forum that had/has trouble upgrading. Lots of others have upgraded in less that 10 mins so it obvious that there is something interesting going on. Trying to get to the bottom of it...

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              Actually it is pretty much the same as my main computer. Core 2 duo with 4gb ram. Actually the upgrade took 2h20m and there is one other on the OPNsense forum that had/has trouble upgrading. Lots of others have upgraded in less that 10 mins so it obvious that there is something interesting going on. Trying to get to the bottom of it...
              Yikes...were you monitoring the console to see what was going on? My ITX Athon64 X2 5050e w/ 2GB and old laptop SATA drive updated in 5 minutes. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by jwh7 View Post
                Yikes...were you monitoring the console to see what was going on? My ITX Athon64 X2 5050e w/ 2GB and old laptop SATA drive updated in 5 minutes. ;-)
                Hell no, I left my house and came back after some hours out. I was rather convinced that I would go to sleep without having access to my regular clips from ... (cough)... natural geographics on youtube. Luckily everything was working as normal and I slept well that night :*)

Comment

Posting to report that I just updated my opnsense which runs on a Odroid h2+ and has 8GB memory, with a noname ssd as storage. It took about 10-20min.
                  After the upgrade I also received update for sudo as I believe is there to mitigate CVE-2021-3156!

Comment

It's there something like an LTS version?

Comment

Working...
                    X