Netgate Announces pfSense Plus With Greater Divergence From pfSense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

You're still unable to follow the original argument. The original claim was that if the license changed from permissive to copy-left, there would be no change in what the company did. In this situation, we are looking only at the differences between the licenses, everything is being held constant except for the license. Obviously this is not about how actual companies or organizations choose licenses in the real world, this is *purely* about what the licenses stipulate and what the resulting effects are. Arguing about cause and effect shows you have not understood what was being discussed.
    In such a case literally nothing would change, as the company would still use the code as licensed before. The updated license only applies to stuff that happened after the change; you cannot change the license retroactively.

Comment

Originally posted by trasz View Post
      In such a case literally nothing would change, as the company would still use the code as licensed before. The updated license only applies to stuff that happened after the change; you cannot change the license retroactively.
      Again this was about the company actually using the software with the updated license not just routing around the license change. I accept your concession.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
        Again this was about the company actually using the software with the updated license not just routing around the license change. I accept your concession.
        Except that this is exactly like the software changing license from Open Source to closed source. Fortunately both situations aren't really plausible in larger, community developed projects, as you'd need all the contributors to agree.

Comment

Originally posted by trasz View Post

Except that this is exactly like the software changing license from Open Source to closed source. Fortunately both situations aren't really plausible in larger, community developed projects, as you'd need all the contributors to agree.
          I know it sucks you can't follow the original premise (and I did not create it), but you'll get there eventually.

Comment

Working...
          X