Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rmfx
    replied
    I really like this project but the total lack of communication about progress and never any build provided (except not even once a year) is really driving me away.
    Was a time when Jackpot51 was giving interviews and details about it, but now it's absolute silence.

What happened and why do you guys act like this ?
    You try to kill any hype about your project on purpose ?

Making a 50 lines article every month will only take 30 minutes of your time.
    If you have hundreds of hours to spend on the dev, you definitely have 30 minutes to spare to write about the project, lack of time is not an excuse.
    So please put this extra effort, that will help everyone.
    Last edited by rmfx; 28 December 2020, 08:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mulenmar
    replied
    Oh good, I was getting worried given the lack of updating of their website.

As for the not-Firefox webbrowser, I really hope they don't lock down the extensions so much. Security is one thing, not supporting even specially-vetted extensions or making sure the needed APIs are available before forcing users to upgrade is a whole different (losing) ball game.

If nothing else, I want to be able to reconfigure the GUI again, even if with a limit to the number of toolbars allowed.

A thought occurs to me: with Rust and continuous integration, there would be no need to drop old-but-good protocols like Gopher just because there's nobody maintaining it constantly.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Redox OS has lead to many command line utilities I prefer to their GNU counterparts, bat can be really nice for numbered line output. fd is a simpler find, the cool thing is a lot of these utilities are in the AUR and available as cargo so they run on Linux just fine too.
    fd is a simpler find? Even simpler than mlocate and plocate?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Hopefully, this will once be the next generation free OS.
    Redox OS and Haiku are the best candidates IMHO

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by foolishgrunt View Post

The better question is how long that browser will take to be anywhere near modern. My guess is never: WebPositive (for Haiku OS) is still not ready for prime time after >10 years.

Unless you were talking about a Chromium browser. Then I have no idea.
    However, WebPositive has made tremendous progress in the last few years, unlike the years before that. Until a few years ago, it was barely useable and hanged and crashed all the time. In 2020, while still not ready for prime-time, it is in very, very good shape and is actually very useable as a daily driver.

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied
    Originally posted by jbranso View Post

May I ask why you prefer the Apache license over the MIT license?
    The MIT license was written before software patent law in the U.S. was really established. The Apache 2 license was specifically written to withstand litigation in the modern era.

Leave a comment:

• foolishgrunt
    replied
    Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    I wonder how ling untill it can run the not-firefox web browser that is planned.
    The better question is how long that browser will take to be anywhere near modern. My guess is never: WebPositive (for Haiku OS) is still not ready for prime time after >10 years.

Unless you were talking about a Chromium browser. Then I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied
    I wonder how ling untill it can run the not-firefox web browser that is planned.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Redox OS has lead to many command line utilities I prefer to their GNU counterparts, bat can be really nice for numbered line output. fd is a simpler find, the cool thing is a lot of these utilities are in the AUR and available as cargo so they run on Linux just fine too.

Leave a comment:

• jbranso
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Hopefully, this will once be the next generation free OS.
    But I don't really like the MIT license. I think Apache V2 would have been the better choice.
    May I ask why you prefer the Apache license over the MIT license?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X