Redox OS 0.6 Released With Many Fixes, Rewritten Kernel Memory Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redox OS 0.6 Released With Many Fixes, Rewritten Kernel Memory Manager

Phoronix: Redox OS 0.6 Released With Many Fixes, Rewritten Kernel Memory Manager

Redox OS, the micro-kernel based Rust-written operating system, is out with a new Christmas release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...S-0.6-Released

Great. I have been waiting forever for new images.
    Every time I tried to build it from source, the build process failed. (I am not a rust expert, so I did'nt try to get it working.)

Comment

Hopefully, this will once be the next generation free OS.
      But I don't really like the MIT license. I think Apache V2 would have been the better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        But I don't really like the MIT license. I think Apache V2 would have been the better choice.
        May I ask why you prefer the Apache license over the MIT license?

Comment

Redox OS has lead to many command line utilities I prefer to their GNU counterparts, bat can be really nice for numbered line output. fd is a simpler find, the cool thing is a lot of these utilities are in the AUR and available as cargo so they run on Linux just fine too.

Comment

I wonder how ling untill it can run the not-firefox web browser that is planned.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
              I wonder how ling untill it can run the not-firefox web browser that is planned.
              The better question is how long that browser will take to be anywhere near modern. My guess is never: WebPositive (for Haiku OS) is still not ready for prime time after >10 years.

Unless you were talking about a Chromium browser. Then I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jbranso View Post

May I ask why you prefer the Apache license over the MIT license?
                The MIT license was written before software patent law in the U.S. was really established. The Apache 2 license was specifically written to withstand litigation in the modern era.

Comment

Originally posted by foolishgrunt View Post

The better question is how long that browser will take to be anywhere near modern. My guess is never: WebPositive (for Haiku OS) is still not ready for prime time after >10 years.

Unless you were talking about a Chromium browser. Then I have no idea.
                  However, WebPositive has made tremendous progress in the last few years, unlike the years before that. Until a few years ago, it was barely useable and hanged and crashed all the time. In 2020, while still not ready for prime-time, it is in very, very good shape and is actually very useable as a daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    Redox OS and Haiku are the best candidates IMHO

Comment

Working...
                    X