Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haiku OS Gearing Up For 2021 With Improving ARM Port, Other Hardware Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Gearing Up For 2021 With Improving ARM Port, Other Hardware Improvements

Phoronix: Haiku OS Gearing Up For 2021 With Improving ARM Port, Other Hardware Improvements

Haiku as the open-source OS inspired by BeOS continues to be quite active in feature development as 2020 draws to a close...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interestingly is that Google's new operating system Fuschia uses the Zircon kernel. Zircon's code base was derived from that of Little Kernel (LK) which was developed by Travis Geiselbrecht, who had also coauthored the NewOS kernel used by Haiku.

Comment

So earlier today I learned of a new release of IceWM (for some reason) and now I'm reminded of the existence of Haiku.
      I'm curious to know what blast from the past I'll be reading about tomorrow.

Comment

I'm glad to see the Haiku developing has gained a faster pace recently, and in sight of beta3 they have also called contests for official wallpapers and system sounds.
        Those made more people attracted by the project, and will help give Haiku an identity towards the users, hopefully.

Comment

My only issue with HaikuOs is the GUI/Shell, which looks a bit weird.
          I hope they open the system so that we can use different ones or at least revert to a more classical DE...

Comment

Haiku is pretty amazing but its really need hardware acceleration support!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              My only issue with HaikuOs is the GUI/Shell, which looks a bit weird.
              I hope they open the system so that we can use different ones or at least revert to a more classical DE...
              Wtf? Haiku uses BeOS's shell from the late 90's. How is that not "classic"?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Wtf? Haiku uses BeOS's shell from the late 90's. How is that not "classic"?
                It's classic BeOS, but nobody really used BeOS, so indeed it is weird.

Comment

Obviously enough ppl used BeOS to care about seeing it not die off completely. More power to them

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                    So earlier today I learned of a new release of IceWM (for some reason) and now I'm reminded of the existence of Haiku.
                    I'm curious to know what blast from the past I'll be reading about tomorrow.

A little open-source project called "The Ur-Quan Masters", the open sourced and ported-back-to-PC (sans opening and closing movies) version of the 3DO port of Star Control 2, apparently has a 0.8 version tagged in its Sourceforge repos... and it's ported to SDL2. The last version released is 0.7 from July 4, 2011, which still uses SDL v1.2, iirc.

Meanwhile, Debian has been on version 0.6 for about a decade, despite a long-standing bug report... apparently because some of Debian's patches don't apply cleanly?

How's that for not one, not two, but THREE blasts from the past? (SC2/UQM, Sourceforge, and SDL v1.2). 😆

Comment

Working...
                    X