Running BSDs On The AMD Ryzen 5000 Series - FreeBSD vs. Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

Well I have just created a single partition ZFS (build from source, clearlinux), and downloaded the entire COVID-19 genome from here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/AY391777

Now I have COVID on ZFS ...

On the plus side, it compresses really well.
    That's because ZFS has pools to promote isolation and social distancing.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's because ZFS has pools to promote isolation and social distancing.
      That is a good thing....I hope that ZFS can mask itself from the rest of the system.
      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Considering much smaller community and funds, FreeBSD doing pretty well.

Comment

I would be interested in file system benchmarks: OpenZFS vs. Btrfs vs. Ext4 vs. XFS vs. bcachefs

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            Considering much smaller community and funds, FreeBSD doing pretty well.
            I admire the effort. I'm content with not being able to get early hardware support for non-standard systems, or not being able to run docker natively.

I got really annoyed to the point where I stopped using FreeBSD due to unexpected proactive paging via pagedaemon. I did not have any issues prior to FreeBSD 10.

The performance aspect isn't bad. I would be happy with the benchmark results. I'm really missing simplicity of the OS.

Comment

How come OpenBSD was not tested? Michael said it booted and installed fine on the motherboard/CPU combo. Are the test results forthcoming? As always appreciate the *BSD tests, only place I know on the Internet that does *BSD benchmarking.

Comment

Children at play

Comment

What I wonder is why FreeBSD was not tested with UFS as well. Clearly Ubuntu is less performant with ZFS, so why should we expect FreeBSD with ZFS to perform as well as Ubuntu on ext4?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    How come OpenBSD was not tested? Michael said it booted and installed fine on the motherboard/CPU combo. Are the test results forthcoming? As always appreciate the *BSD tests, only place I know on the Internet that does *BSD benchmarking.
                    It might be interesting to see, but keep in mind OpenBSD does not focus performance like FreeBSD does. I don't think it's going to win any races.

Curious about the Postgres tests with ZFS. Assuming these are untuned ZFS. ZFS should be tuned for optimal postgres performance, when done, they are very fast together..

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

It might be interesting to see, but keep in mind OpenBSD does not focus performance like FreeBSD does. I don't think it's going to win any races.
                      Yes I know OpenBSD isn't as tuned for SMT like FreeBSD and Linux. The 6.8 release announcements and stuff I've read on Reddit showed that 6.8 made some major speedups compared to 6.7 though so I am curious to see the performance impact between 6.7 and 6.8

Comment

Working...
                      X