Running BSDs On The AMD Ryzen 5000 Series - FreeBSD vs. Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
    You need to work on your sense of humor.
    Then say something funny instead of stupid.

Comment

That is actually very usable and good performance. Some can be explained by just differences in scheduler optimisation, and differences in the file systems, and compiler, but overall pretty close. Nothing too surprising.

I wonder how would be the idle power usage on FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

GCC will never fix its issues.
        Has someone dropped a clanger ?

Comment

So, I think it's pretty obvious here that Linux and GCC are freakin awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

As if the OP was any better. Same shit.
            Not the same. He pointed out there are areas that Clang needs to fix. GCC needs fixes as well, but saying they're not doing anything isn't fair. I'd love to see how pure Clang Linux distribution is performing.
            Last edited by Volta; 21 December 2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Not the same. He pointed out there are areas that Clang needs to fix. GCC needs fixes as well, but saying they're not doing anything isn't fair. I'd love to see how pure Clang Linux distribution is performing.
              GCC vs LLVM has been IMO one of the most constructive competitions in the free software world. And the thing is, they're not only open, they're also interoperable for the most part. I even know of people who contributed to both. They are not political parties or cults; they do not require that kind of dedication.

It takes a certain kind of person to politicize that choice.

Comment

And here I was seeing this and thinking how great it is that no matter what combination of open source software on any open source operating system that a person wants to use they should have great results. Yeah, a few things here and there are better at one place or the next, but, overall, you can't go wrong no matter what you pick. It's a great testament to all the love, hard work, and dedication that's present in the open source world.

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

GCC vs LLVM has been IMO one of the most constructive competitions in the free software world. And the thing is, they're not only open, they're also interoperable for the most part. I even know of people who contributed to both. They are not political parties or cults; they do not require that kind of dedication.

It takes a certain kind of person to politicize that choice.
                Let me tell you about ZFS and all the things its platform can accomplish for you during 2021. For example, ZFS is completely safe from COVID-19. Can you be certain NTFS or Ext4 will keep you safe from COVID?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  And here I was seeing this and thinking how great it is that no matter what combination of open source software on any open source operating system that a person wants to use they should have great results. Yeah, a few things here and there are better at one place or the next, but, overall, you can't go wrong no matter what you pick. It's a great testament to all the love, hard work, and dedication that's present in the open source world.

Let me tell you about ZFS and all the things its platform can accomplish for you during 2021. For example, ZFS is completely safe from COVID-19. Can you be certain NTFS or Ext4 will keep you safe from COVID?
                  Well I have just created a single partition ZFS (build from source, clearlinux), and downloaded the entire COVID-19 genome from here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/AY391777

Now I have COVID on ZFS ...

On the plus side, it compresses really well.
                  Last edited by vladpetric; 21 December 2020, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Mindblowing to see actual humor instead of expected trolling..

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

OpenMandriva is pure Clang distro. Do test it. Test suite is FOSS.

Comment

Working...
                      X