Windows Subsystem For Linux / WSL2 Performance With The AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
    Be careful...you might find yourself wanting to program in c#.
    I already do, a little. Still just at the tinkering around learning how it behaves, stage.

I liked F#, it worked nicely for what I wanted, but it gets little love from... well, anyone, even Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
      The default settings virtually all Linux distributions are setting suck big time for desktop users, since they are geared for notebooks!
      On a desktop, these are some of the basics every Linux user should do:...
      In my experience, the problem is not really the default settings. It's the proprietary firmware for TDP with Windows-only drivers. You have to go extra mile to eliminate the thermal throttling on Linux, and sometimes it's not even possible.

Comment

The problem with WSL2 is the horrible IO performance when accessing the Windows filesystems. WSL2 performance is only good if you stay inside the WSL2 bubble. Once you start working on your C: drive (/mnt/c), performance goes down the drain, especially if there are lots of small files. The other way around – accessing the WSL2 filesystem in Windows apps – is also horribly slow. Basically, it's unusable for development when you want to run a Windows native IDE and compile in WSL2.

Comment

The power management comments are interesting. I have ubuntu 20.10 desktop and an amd 5800x. Thermald was not installed and if I do a s-tui stress test, all cores immediately run at max frequency, My fan is good, it sustains all cores 100% and speed 4500MHz at 80C. How could Windows do better? I don't have windows on this machine.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
            I still don't understand why running Linux under Windows isn't called the Linux Subsystem for Windows.
            The way they named it makes it sound like the opposite of what it is.
            This is a legal issue. They don't own the name Linux, so they cannot call any of their products with its name doesn't start with one of their names

Comment

Working...
            X