Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Subsystem For Linux / WSL2 Performance With The AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Windows Subsystem For Linux / WSL2 Performance With The AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

    Phoronix: Windows Subsystem For Linux / WSL2 Performance With The AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

    Last week we looked at the Windows vs. Linux performance on the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X where there was some very friendly competition and much closer results than we are used to seeing for modern, high-end x86_64 processors between the two operating systems. As a follow-up to that testing, here are results of Windows 10 October 2020 Update with Windows Subsystem for Linux (both WSL1 and WSL2) compared to the performance in turn off bare metal Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS and Ubuntu 20.10 on the same system.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29774

  • #2
    Fascinating results. Much better than I expected. Thank you Michael.
    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm feeling 5*00x envy

      Comment


      • #4
        the numpy results are weird. there shouldn't be any real difference between the platforms for this benchmark.

        Comment


        • #5
          Surprisingly good results

          Comment


          • #6
            I still don't understand why running Linux under Windows isn't called the Linux Subsystem for Windows.
            The way they named it makes it sound like the opposite of what it is.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
              I still don't understand why running Linux under Windows isn't called the Linux Subsystem for Windows.
              The way they named it makes it sound like the opposite of what it is.
              Yep, it's really weird.

              They perhaps are following a scheme:
              - Windows Accessories
              - Windows PowerShell
              - Windows Notepad
              - Windows Subsystem for Linux


              ...Windows' Subsystem for running Linux applications

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                Yep, it's really weird.

                They perhaps are following a scheme:
                - Windows Accessories
                - Windows PowerShell
                - Windows Notepad
                - Windows Subsystem for Linux


                ...Windows' Subsystem for running Linux applications
                Or maybe "Windows subsystem for trying to get Linux Developers to Program on Windows instead of Linux" ... WSLDPWIP? If KDE did it they would have called it kwsl. Which actually might make more sense.
                Last edited by f0rmat; 16 December 2020, 12:56 PM. Reason: Grammar
                GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

                  Or maybe "Windows subsystem for trying to get Linux Developers to Program on Windows instead of Linux" ... WSLDPWIP? If KDE did it they would have called it kwsl. Which actually might make more sense.
                  KWin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

                    KWin
                    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X