GhostBSD 20.11.28 Released With Improved Steam On Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostBSD 20.11.28 Released With Improved Steam On Linux Performance

Phoronix: GhostBSD 20.11.28 Released With Improved Steam On Linux Performance

GhostBSD 20.11.28 is out as the latest version of this desktop-focused BSD operating system based on FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think its amazing that there is such a dedication to run applications developed for a modern unix-like system on this stuck in the late 80s retro OS. Especially games.
    I can not even imagine what could come out of it if this much dedication would be directed towards something useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      I think its amazing that there is such a dedication to run applications developed for a modern unix-like system on this stuck in the late 80s retro OS. Especially games.
      I can not even imagine what could come out of it if this much dedication would be directed towards something useful.
      Well... Your harsh comment is very similar what I hear from Windows users when they joking about Linux users...

Great, that there is alternative for Windows, great that there is also alternative for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

Well... Your harsh comment is very similar what I hear from Windows users when they joking about Linux users...

Great, that there is alternative for Windows, great that there is also alternative for Linux.
        Yea, its not really serious speech. But it helps against the BSD fanboys with their "GPL is a religion, BSD is a philosophy" BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

Except Linux eats this shit for breakfast in many aspects, so I'm laughing from winblows users and problems they have.

Comment

I appreciate the BSD's. It does keep modern Linux distro's rooted somewhat so that not all distro's adapt systemd and pulseaudio. Both have their benefits but both also have their downfalls.

I prefer Linux distro's that have a BSD philosophy. KISS and all that. But allow to build big complex systems. Yes, Gentoo fits this bill but I personally use Crux... With pulseaudio as I no longer have a hardware based sound card.

BSDs need to improve and keep improving. They are solid and function appropriately for what they are intended. And when trying to bring in other crowds I have no issue with that either just like when steam came to Linux etc.

The more people any alternate OS can appeal from Microsoft the better, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by MNKyDeth View Post
              I appreciate the BSD's. It does keep modern Linux distro's rooted somewhat so that not all distro's adapt systemd and pulseaudio. Both have their benefits but both also have their downfalls.

I prefer Linux distro's that have a BSD philosophy. KISS and all that. But allow to build big complex systems. Yes, Gentoo fits this bill but I personally use Crux... With pulseaudio as I no longer have a hardware based sound card.

BSDs need to improve and keep improving. They are solid and function appropriately for what they are intended. And when trying to bring in other crowds I have no issue with that either just like when steam came to Linux etc.

Systemd is a simple and stupid solution to a big and hard to solve problem.
              It matches the architecture of the gnu coreutils while serving its purpose and only its purpose. There is nothing about it that does not fit in unix traditions and KISS.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Systemd is a simple and stupid solution to a big and hard to solve problem.
                It matches the architecture of the gnu coreutils while serving its purpose and only its purpose. There is nothing about it that does not fit in unix traditions and KISS.
                And thats fine. I get it, some people like systemd. I prefer my init system to be just that and nothing more. However... I would say if it was in "unix" tradition it would work on the BSDs as well. As they are rooted in unix as well, possibly even more so.

Comment

Originally posted by MNKyDeth View Post
                  So the closed, Apple-wired macOS too? 'Cause in your words, it's an alternate OS that appeals from Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    Except Linux eats this shit for breakfast in many aspects, so I'm laughing from winblows users and problems they have.
                    "Winblows" is something Linux tries to be like ever so hard.. kinda laughing over your problems "blah blah my system shuts down 5min.."

Comment

Working...
                    X