KDE Neon for Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Neon for Windows

Over the past few months I've been working on an installer script for KDE Neon running in the Windows Subsystem for Linux. As many of you are aware, this is not a traditional virtual machine; WSL1 is an implementation of the Linux kernel ABI on top of the NT kernel. As a result there are many limitations that need to be worked-around or fixed in order to get KDE running well. In the same way that KDE targets Linux, FreeBSD, and other operating systems, I'm working to add WSL1 to that list as a first-class citizen (maybe revive windows.kde.org?) This may never be 100% achievable for a few reasons, but it's an ideal to aim for.

If you have access to a virtual machine or Real Linux Box(tm) there are better ways to run Neon. But if by choice (or force) you're working in Windows, running a Windows VPS that doesn't support nested virtualization, or have an older system that doesn't support VT, now you have options.

kWSL.cmd - KDE Neon 5.20 for WSL1
    https://github.com/DesktopECHO/kWSL
    • NetInstall of KDE Neon 5.20 on WSL1
    • Easy to deploy
    • Runs on Windows Server 2019 or Windows 10 Version 1809 (or newer, including Server Core)
    • xRDP Display Server, no additional X Server downloads required
    • RDP Audio playback enabled (YouTube playback in browser works with audio in sync)
    • Chrome Remote Desktop pre-installed, see wiki for simple steps to enable

Can I run it as standard desktop for daily tasks and run windows applications from within it?

Comment

I suppose you could if there's an RDP client for Linux that supports RemoteApp... I've not looked into that.

I would not suggest trying this though, as it may lead to an Inception-type event where the universe folds in upon itself.

I have had it working on Hyper-V 2019 though so it can act as a GUI for server core... Hyper-V is free to licence so it's the closest to "Free Windows" (as in beer) that we'll ever see.

Comment

I was curious if I could replace Windows own UI with it for basic desktop tasks. And then run normal Win applications through it. As in normal desktop PC.
        Last edited by aht0; 27 November 2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately if you're connected to an xRDP session you can't launch a GUI Windows app inside of it without some kind of helper like RemoteApp. Console apps work fine, however.

Comment

Working...
          X