Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 12.2 Released - Supports Linux In Jailed Environments, Better Hardware Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 12.2 Released - Supports Linux In Jailed Environments, Better Hardware Support

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12.2 Released - Supports Linux In Jailed Environments, Better Hardware Support

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE is now available as the latest feature and bug fix update to the FreeBSD 12 platform ahead of the expected FreeBSD 13.0 release around the end of Q1-2021...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-12.2-Released

Linux in a jail? I guess like a virtual machine?

Comment

FreeBSD Subsystem for Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
        Linux in a jail? I guess like a virtual machine?
        As I understand it, freebsd jails are a more robust form of containerization than chroot. More equivalent to lxc (used by docker) type of container. You are still running one (freebsd) kernel, and the jailed userspace must match the arch the kernel is running on. So, this just extends linux emulation support to the jail?

Comment

FreeBSD-12.1 in past weeks updated Gnome ports/pkg to 3.38 and Gnome works well now. Hope, this will attract some interest to use this OS, especially for desktop computers.

Comment

Originally posted by deepclutch View Post
            FreeBSD-12.1 in past weeks updated Gnome ports/pkg to 3.38 and Gnome works well now. Hope, this will attract some interest to use this OS, especially for desktop computers.
            What's the Wayland status on FreeBSD? I will soon have a spare laptop to try it on.

Comment

The Sony Playstation 5 uses FreeBSD 12 btw in case you didn't know, not sure if v12.0.x or a newer version.

Comment

Congrats. I'm holding out for FreeBSD 13 for my next dip in the water. Wanting that native OpenZFS 2.0 working out of the box.

- A notice that beginning with FreeBSD 13.0, the default CPU type for i386 architecture builds will change from i486 to i686. In other words binaries for i386 will now require at least i686 class CPUs. Fortunately, i486/i586 processors still running modern software is increasingly rare. This change for FreeBSD 13.0 will be the final bump for their default i386 / x86 32-bit support.
                Are there seriously people running pre-Pentium CPUs from the 80s and early 90s? I don't normally like to go here, but y'all need to buy some new hardware. Like, there's this thing called a Raspberry Pi and for $50, they're $35 but you need some accessories and tax, but for $50 that'll run circles around your current setup.

Comment

Guys, add your hardware to the new hardware database by:
                  Code:
                  pkg install hw-probe
                  hw-probe -all -upload
                  See https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/n...systems.75651/

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Are there seriously people running pre-Pentium CPUs from the 80s and early 90s? I don't normally like to go here, but y'all need to buy some new hardware. Like, there's this thing called a Raspberry Pi and for $50, they're $35 but you need some accessories and tax, but for $50 that'll run circles around your current setup.
                    Not quite pre-Pentium, but I've got a Pentium Pro 200 system that I use occasionally. That said, currently I just use it to run Windows 9x era games. I've been toying with the idea of getting a QIC tape drive for it so I can dump old UNIX software that I sometimes come across. Having a modern OS would be nice for that. I have run NetBSD on it in the past.

Comment

Working...
                    X