FreeBSD Can Now Be Built From Linux/macOS Hosts, Transition To Git Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KesZerda View Post

Except Steam works just fine under FreeBSD https://github.com/SteamOnFreeBSD/SteamOnFreeBSD
    My GPU doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      It's very funny they need GPL software to improve their infraestructure.

It's funny they need Linux to get more software to run and drivers.

What's the reason for FreeBSD to exist then? To be the shadow of Linux?
      It's funny that Linux needs BSD software to improve its infrastructure.

It's funny that Linux needs Windows to get more software to run and drivers.

What's the reason for Linux to exist then? To be the shadow of Windows? 20 years later and it's still the year of the Linux desktop that will NEVER come.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's hard to take people like you seriously. On the other hand Linux powers entire YouTube, Google and Facebook, so your Netflix example is weak. Fanaticism aside, they did a great move by moving to git. It will probably noticeably improve their development.
        But what he said is the truth. He can't help it if you can't handle that. So triggered.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Is FreeBSD or Linux better?
          I guess Linux is much better for gaming and graphics and desktop.
          But is FreeBSD better at anything? Does it have any advantages?
          For example fibre channel target works way better on FreeBSD than on Linux. Fibre channel on Linux is a total mess and a giant pain while on FreeBSD it is as easy as taking quick look at ctl.conf(5).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

My GPU doesn't
            Which GPU? Nvidia works fine out of the box in FreeBSD and has since forever, AMD and Intel support gets regularly backported in, though you may have to run -CURRENT if you're running an extremely new video card.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              It's very funny they need GPL software to improve their infraestructure.

It's funny they need Linux to get more software to run and drivers.

What's the reason for FreeBSD to exist then? To be the shadow of Linux?
              They don't *need* Linux. It's ubiquitous and free (as in beer) so they use it, but FreeBSD runs fine on it's own in major cloud platforms. About git that is free as well, so why shouldn't they use it.: they are in facrt moving to github, which may crash with some definitions of free.

Comment

Originally posted by KesZerda View Post

Which GPU? Nvidia works fine out of the box in FreeBSD and has since forever, AMD and Intel support gets regularly backported in, though you may have to run -CURRENT if you're running an extremely new video card.
                RX 580. Admittedly I last tried back in February or March so that may have changed since then.

I didn't have any issues at all with my last GPU, an AMD R7 260x, last year.

Comment

Sour apples from nerdy Linux-kids from third post onwards. Like always, as soon as some bsd-related thread would pop up. And then they get instant raging fits somebody dares say anything critical about systemd or Linux itself. Because you know 'BSD guys criticize our lennartware and linusware ALL THE TIME'.

Gaming on Linux is a thing for masochists - it keeps trying to reach on par with Windows and will fail always. Game devs don't simply want support something with that large an support overhead and little amount of players - excepting for temp. PR purposes, simple indie crap and some few Valve titles.

Containers - don't give fuck. You created messy fragmentation in your software sphere in the first place, 'solved it' with containers and now present it as some unbeatable advantage. Like politicians - to show yourself good you have to create a problem you can then successfully overcome. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

RX 580. Admittedly I last tried back in February or March so that may have changed since then.

I didn't have any issues at all with my last GPU, an AMD R7 260x, last year.
                    Even my Vega 64 works (drm-5.0 from ports).

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                      Even my Vega 64 works (drm-5.0 from ports).
                      Like I said, it's been six or seven months and, IIRC, they were one or two AMDGPU versions behind for my card to work. I just used the OOTB settings with -STABLE and didn't try anything newer...twas my 3rd ever *BSD install.

Comment

Working...
                      X