No announcement yet.

FreeBSD Can Now Be Built From Linux/macOS Hosts, Transition To Git Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Can Now Be Built From Linux/macOS Hosts, Transition To Git Continues

Phoronix: FreeBSD Can Now Be Built From Linux/macOS Hosts, Transition To Git Continues

The FreeBSD project has published their Q3-2020 report on the state of this leading BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's worth noting that several quarters ago, the FreeBSD team moved all their updates over to their github page, https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-quarterly , so that status updates instead of being emails back and forth are now handled through git with pull requests being the main mechanism for updates.

Comment

It's very funny they need GPL software to improve their infraestructure.

It's funny they need Linux to get more software to run and drivers.

What's the reason for FreeBSD to exist then? To be the shadow of Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        What's the reason for FreeBSD to exist then?
        Its a cool retro OS for retro enthusiasts who run 20 years old hardware.

Also, companies who really hate to give anything back (like Sony, Netflix, etc) to the people they depend on love BSD.

Comment

Is FreeBSD or Linux better?
          I guess Linux is much better for gaming and graphics and desktop.
          But is FreeBSD better at anything? Does it have any advantages?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            permisse licence it's the big difference

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              It's very funny they need GPL software to improve their infrastructure.

It's funny they need Linux to get more software to run and drivers.

What's the reason for FreeBSD to exist then? To be the shadow of Linux?
              Wow... where does the hate come from? They're moving forward.. and it pains you?

I'm glad to see things like these, switching from Subversion to Git (or any other distributed VCS) alone is a big improvement; same with being able to build from different systems, I'm sure it adds convenience for some devs.

All in all, good for them

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Networking. There are reasons why companies like Netflix invest heavily in FreeBSD. The FreeBSD network stack is still much more stable, and more performant than the Linux network stack.

Comment

Originally posted by KesZerda View Post

Networking. There are reasons why companies like Netflix invest heavily in FreeBSD. The FreeBSD network stack is still much more stable, and more performant than the Linux network stack.
                  It's hard to take people like you seriously. On the other hand Linux powers entire YouTube, Google and Facebook, so your Netflix example is weak. Fanaticism aside, they did a great move by moving to git. It will probably noticeably improve their development.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's hard to take people like you seriously. On the other hand Linux powers entire YouTube, Google and Facebook, so your Netflix example is weak. Fanaticism aside, they did a great move by moving to git. It will probably noticeably improve their development.
                    I provided an example of a company that uses FreeBSD, and has written extensively as to why they do so. I could also mention that the differences in development philosophy which mean that out of tree development, like OpenZFS, is encouraged, in contrast to the Linux kernel team's well known FUD attacks. I could also mention a number of other design features under FreeBSD that are fantastic to work with. Jails, for example, are fantastic for isolating portions of the system for general ease of maintenance, and especially useful for things like development, where being able to create and destroy instances on a whim is a godsend.

Comment

Working...
                    X