Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenBSD Marks 25th Anniversary By Releasing OpenBSD 6.8 With POWER 64-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do like how Raptor is seeding a POWER ecosystem among the OS vendors.

Comment

So basically this guy Theo de Raadt founded NetBSD and the other devs were bitching and whining, so he left them and created OpenBSD which became great while nobody cared about NetBSD which never achieved anything since Theo left, and people calling Theo an asshole, and they calling Linus an asshole.

I think Theo and Linus are great, and people should shut up and respect their authority.

Without them, the only alternative to Windows would be FreeDOS.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        and people calling Theo an asshole, and they calling Linus an asshole.
        The great thing about both Theo and Linus is they don't care what people call them. It is almost inspiring to get off these forums and do something productive with my life!

We wouldn't even have that if Jim Hall (creator of FreeDOS) listened to all the peasants telling him that FreeDOS was a waste of time back in the day.

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        I do like how Raptor is seeding a POWER ecosystem among the OS vendors.
        I honestly think IBM has missed a trick here. For decades they could have focused on a high performance workstation market that feeds into their servers but instead they just do... nothing.

Comment

So basically this guy Theo de Raadt founded NetBSD and the other devs were bitching and whining, so he left them and created OpenBSD which became great while nobody cared about NetBSD which never achieved anything since Theo left, and people calling Theo an asshole, and they calling Linus an asshole.

I think Theo and Linus are great, and people should shut up and respect their authority.

There's a huge difference between Theo and Linus - Linus can actually work with other people. Linux is by far the single most successful and largest collaborative software project on the planet (and the OS that runs on most devices on the planet).

The problem with the world asshole is that it's super broad. There's assholes that just piss off everyone else, and there's people like Linus who constructively use their nastiness to get better quality from other people. It's not ideal (and to be clear, there are many issues with the Linux kernel), but it works reasonably well.

Comment

They can definitely both be assholes. (I don't think either of them is an asshole all of the time.) However, I think Linus is less of an asshole than de Raadt, personally. Having said that, I can also be an asshole and unlike both of them, I'm not a genius.

Comment

So basically this guy Theo de Raadt founded NetBSD and the other devs were bitching and whining, so he left them and created OpenBSD which became great while nobody cared about NetBSD which never achieved
              Netbsd was founded right after 386bsd, by 4 founders, Theo de Raadt was among them, he later in 1995 forked netbsd 1.0 which is what became openbsd after getting kicked out of netbsd development due to among things being an asshole. IMHO netbsd > openbsd and I prefer netbsd, it's the best *bsd. Netbsd code is prettier to read and most portable out of all *bsds.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I honestly think IBM has missed a trick here. For decades they could have focused on a high performance workstation market that feeds into their servers but instead they just do... nothing.
                They do something, just not that.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                  Netbsd was founded right after 386bsd, by 4 founders, Theo de Raadt was among them, he later in 1995 forked netbsd 1.0 which is what became openbsd after getting kicked out of netbsd development due to among things being an asshole. IMHO netbsd > openbsd and I prefer netbsd, it's the best *bsd. Netbsd code is prettier to read and most portable out of all *bsds.
                  It's also the only one that I have yet to get a desktop running on. If it boots at all.

I like the idea of NetBSD, but the implementation is wanting.

Comment

DKJones try OS108.org in qemu still trying to improve new user desktop experience on NetBSD

Comment

Let's start to fill the new hardware database introduced in OpenBSD 6.8:
                      Code:
                      pkg_add hw-probe
                      hw-probe -all -upload
                      See https://github.com/bsdhw/Trends/tree...r/Dist/OpenBSD

Comment

Working...
                      X