Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenBSD Marks 25th Anniversary By Releasing OpenBSD 6.8 With POWER 64-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD Marks 25th Anniversary By Releasing OpenBSD 6.8 With POWER 64-Bit Support

Phoronix: OpenBSD Marks 25th Anniversary By Releasing OpenBSD 6.8 With POWER 64-Bit Support

It was in October 1995 that Theo de Raadt began the OpenBSD project as a fork of NetBSD 1.0 following his resignation from the NetBSD core development team. Now twenty-five years later OpenBSD 6.8 has been released for marking the 25th anniversary of this popular BSD distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hooray!

Comment

It also comes with native WireGuard out of the box!

Comment

A hassle free release as usual.
        I actively look forward to these each ~6 months

I also recently installed 6.7 on a headless Raspberry Pi 3 to use as a low power home server. It is rock solid so far.
        This is as well as the new POWER9 support is encouraging since I am due for a new workstation in a year or so, I am very tempted by the Raptor Computing POWER9 hardware. I could almost be entirely away from x86 then.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 18 October 2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

OpenBSD still is hardcoded and depends on BIOS service calls? No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            OpenBSD still is hardcoded and depends on BIOS service calls? No thanks.
            And which BIOS is this that you speak of for the arm64 and POWER9 platforms which OpenBSD supports?

These platforms don't provide one so I am intrigued as to what you think a BIOS is...
            Last edited by kpedersen; 18 October 2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Yay, every release is better than the last! Congrats to 25 years for the team!

Comment

Benchmarks against soon to be released FreeBSD 12.2 pretty please?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                  Benchmarks against soon to be released FreeBSD 12.2 pretty please?
                  Spoiler: It will be slower than freebsd. Why? Because performance is not their aim.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                    Spoiler: It will be slower than freebsd. Why? Because performance is not their aim.
                    Yes, very likely. though I always find it interesting how, even with all of these security related compromises, it still manages to run at a useful speed in comparison.

Comment

Working...
                    X