Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetBSD Changes Its Default X11 Window Manager After Two Decades

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NetBSD Changes Its Default X11 Window Manager After Two Decades

    Phoronix: NetBSD Changes Its Default X11 Window Manager After Two Decades

    It's 2020 and NetBSD has changed its default X11 window manager after more than two decades with TWM...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...w-Manager-2020

  • #2
    I love that the various BSD communities keep this classic retro OS for retro enthusiasts alive. Their commitment is comparable to the communities keeping things like the C64 alive.

    Comment


    • #3
      NetBSD is not cool, it doesn't even have Wayland support.

      Comment


      • #4
        uid313 https://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc...msg030124.html

        Comment


        • #5
          frank007 you might enjoy some WM screenshots here https://www.unitedbsd.com/d/3-what-d...-look-like/354

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            I love that the various BSD communities keep this classic retro OS for retro enthusiasts alive. Their commitment is comparable to the communities keeping things like the C64 alive.
            Indeed. It is very important to provide the timeless underpinnings of the retro Playstation 3-5 consoles. And the retro streaming company, Netflix.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

              Indeed. It is very important to provide the timeless underpinnings of the retro Playstation 3-5 consoles. And the retro streaming company, Netflix.
              There are big multinational tech companies who release products that still run dos. Bad argument.

              Also using the PS4 especially in its first 2 years was a testament on how brilliant and stable BSD runs especially compared to Windows NT running on the Xbox.... Not.

              And for Sony and Netflix, it was a matter of choosing the (by far) worse OS/Kernel to protect them-self from horrible things like contributing back, not because they like running a retro system in production.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                Also using the PS4 especially in its first 2 years was a testament on how brilliant and stable BSD runs especially compared to Windows NT running on the Xbox.... Not.
                The "first 2 years" were during the PS3 era and were incredibly successful. No wonder they kept with it for the PS5 over Linux over a dacade later

                If I recall the "red ring of death" was a pretty big flaw for the NT based Xbox. Can't recall the Playstation 3+ having quite so many issues.

                Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                There are big multinational tech companies who release products that still run dos. Bad argument.
                And yet, can you name any that are as large and as successful as Netflix running DOS on their servers? XD
                Last edited by kpedersen; 28 September 2020, 09:28 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  The "first 2 years" were during the PS3 era and were incredibly successful. No wonder they kept with it for the PS5 over Linux over a dacade later
                  Implying the PS3 wasn't a bug fest in its first 2 years either.

                  Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  If I recall the "red ring of death" was a pretty big flaw for the NT based Xbox. Can't recall the Playstation 3+ having quite so many issues.
                  Guess the Retro OS BSD could have fixed soldering issues. And I guess the 3 fat PS3s at my friends home with cracked CPU SMD soldering wanna have a talk.

                  Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  Can you name any that are as large and as successful as Netflix running DOS on their servers? XD
                  who spoke about using dos on servers? Of course it is similarly horrifying to using BSD on a server but thank gnu there aren't so many maniacs around. And I guess Windows Server is now considered good as large successful companies use that on their servers...

                  "XD"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    NetBSD is not cool, it doesn't even have Wayland support.
                    Wayland is not cool.... the entire open source graphics stack is Linux specific and a pain in the rear for other OSs to port.

                    The lack of Wayland on NetBSD isn't because they somehow hate technological improvements quite the contrary.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X