Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Is Backporting WSL2 To Their Windows 10 2019 Releases

Phoronix: Microsoft Is Backporting WSL2 To Their Windows 10 2019 Releases

WSL2 as a HyperV-powered more VM-like Windows Subsystem for Linux rolled out officially in the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Microsoft though has now back-ported WSL2 to their Windows 10 November 2019 and May 2019 updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

WSL2 = no VirtualBox, no VMWare Player

And MSFT added that very well hidden (and under documented) feature in Windows Defender that unless you uncheck it, blocks all virtualization for security purposes.

As usual doing the right thing the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        WSL2 = no VirtualBox, no VMWare Player
        Yeah, started to figure out how these things work. For WSL2 to work, you have to enable Hyper-V, which is a Type 1 hypervisor. This meaning, and something I only learned recently, that Hyper-V is loaded first before any OS. So if I enable Hyper-V to run WSL2, then my Windows 10 boot is also running on top of Hyper-V. Maybe that is not an issue, but kind of didn't like that. Would rather when I boot into Windows 10 that it ran on bare metal, not on top of a Type 1 hypervisor.

And also, as stated, running a Type 1 hypervisor (i.e. Hyper-V) blocks the usage of any Type 2 hypervisors (e.g. VirtualBox). Not my ideal situation since I do use VirtualBox for things. Not saying I couldn't run any virtual machines with Hyper-V. But see first point

If I am factually wrong on some of the details, I am not offend to be corrected.

Comment

Latest versions of Virtualbox and VMware support using the Hyper-V API so they can provide virtualization on top of the Hyper-V engine.
          Last edited by pedro; 21 August 2020, 04:22 AM.

Comment

LTSC not included. Unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

Yeah, started to figure out how these things work. For WSL2 to work, you have to enable Hyper-V, which is a Type 1 hypervisor. This meaning, and something I only learned recently, that Hyper-V is loaded first before any OS. So if I enable Hyper-V to run WSL2, then my Windows 10 boot is also running on top of Hyper-V. Maybe that is not an issue, but kind of didn't like that. Would rather when I boot into Windows 10 that it ran on bare metal, not on top of a Type 1 hypervisor.

And also, as stated, running a Type 1 hypervisor (i.e. Hyper-V) blocks the usage of any Type 2 hypervisors (e.g. VirtualBox). Not my ideal situation since I do use VirtualBox for things. Not saying I couldn't run any virtual machines with Hyper-V. But see first point

If I am factually wrong on some of the details, I am not offend to be corrected.
              Just don't use Windows 10. It's a pile of crap.

Comment

I notice that the Windows 10 cumulative update documentation no longer obnoxiously states "Windows is a service and as such... blah, blah, broken ideas..."

So perhaps the fact they are backporting patches and features means they are finally realising people are rejecting the idea or constant breakage and sticking with older known releases (i.e *not* a service).
                Last edited by kpedersen; 21 August 2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

When should we get 3D accelerated Gui in wsl2?

Comment

Awesome, now I'm only 18 months behind the earliest release that supports WSL2.

Comment

Working...
                    X