Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPNsense 20.7 Released For This BSD-Powered Open-Source Firewall

Phoronix: OPNsense 20.7 Released For This BSD-Powered Open-Source Firewall

OPNsense 20.7 "Legendary Lion" released today as "a major operating system jump forward on a sustainable firewall experience" powered by HardenedBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OPNsense is fantastic. The only problem I have with it is the version number. It really should be called 20.8 instead of 20.7 ... Apart from that it's a huge improvement over pfSense I think.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Minor plural mistake:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      There is also the latest HardenedBSD 12.1 improvements
      (shouldn't it be "are"?)

Comment

OPNsense chugs along on using around 720mb of RAM with IPS enabled & a VPN running.

Notes here for connecting OpenVPN clients in OPNsense

Comment

I've tried to use it and it's pretty good.. but I find PFSense to be better for me as it has more advanced options in the UI. for 90% of people tho OPNSense is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
            I've tried to use it and it's pretty good.. but I find PFSense to be better for me as it has more advanced options in the UI. for 90% of people tho OPNSense is just fine.
            pfSense is very nice , I used it for years before migrating to OPNsense. Just out of curiosity what features do you need in pfSense that OPNsense does not provide you with?!

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

pfSense is very nice , I used it for years before migrating to OPNsense. Just out of curiosity what features do you need in pfSense that OPNsense does not provide you with?!
              It's not really a feature thing. It's more the language and expected use. PFSense feels more enterprise. OPNsense feels more "home user". That isn't a knock to either.. both are wanted and good.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

It's not really a feature thing. It's more the language and expected use. PFSense feels more enterprise. OPNsense feels more "home user". That isn't a knock to either.. both are wanted and good.
                Okeydok, thanks for clarifying.

I use opnsense myself for semi-advanced home use, but then again there is (or the last time I checked - was) not much difference. OPNsense have from my experience cleaned up quit a bit and depending on what throughput you need for certain workloads I don't think there is much difference. Perhaps Michael would like to benchmark network performance as well?

Comment

Working...
                X