• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    Emulating hardware is for barbarians. lol
    Type 1 hypervisors share a kernel between all guest OSes, but they don't emulate hardware.

Type 2 hypervisors don't necessarily emulate hardware. You can pass through actual hardware to a virtual machine.

CPU virtualization also doesn't emulate anything. The whole point of VT-x and AMD-V is to run a virtualized system in a "ring -1" so that the guest OS can issue instructions to the CPU directly.

Leave a comment:

• k1e0x
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you probably still live in a world without virtual machines
    I do in fact. I use jails.

Emulating hardware is for barbarians. lol

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    the only os where zfs is native is solaris
    Ok, granted. Should've said "mainstream."

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    I can't really think of any other FS other than ZFS and FAT that is supported across so many OS's.
    you probably still live in a world without virtual machines

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    Nope, I am simply suggesting nothing more or less than NIH syndrome combined with sense of superiority and incompetence over subject matter
    lol, that's exactly how we've got all incompatible *bsd forks
    Ages a go I found following from FreeBSD Forums where this very same was discussed.
    you and poster just forgot to look into a mirror

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    Anything that runs on the a BSD runs just as well on Linux, so no point in using it unless you want native ZFS
    the only os where zfs is native is solaris

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomin View Post
    The real problem is that the two most successful desktop operating have really poor support for alternative file systems out of the box.
    shouldn't that problem be alleviated by wsl2(i didn't check)?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    You don't need to use FAT32, ZFS is cross platform. FreeBSD, Linux, MacOS, Windows & Solaris/Illumos
    as you could easily see in my list above, fat is supported by linux, zfs isn't

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Illumos itself was at fault by being too timid accepting PR's. That, not mystical technical merits of Linux kernel were the reason of switch.
    what are you smoking? linux kernel didn't accept zfs prs and will never accept them
    I am curious, are you selectively de-humanizing certain people in your mind? There was guy literally half a dozen posts earlier asking about H2. I think he would count as "someone"?
    it's statistical noise and that guy is passive, and as we already know, code doesn't write itself, so only "someone who writes code" counts

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I say unfortunate because crossplatform ZFS and BTRFS in the works means less and less reasons to consider BSD
    isn't it fortunate?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X