FreeBSD Back To Seeing Progress On 802.11ac WiFi Support, Ath10k Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Back To Seeing Progress On 802.11ac WiFi Support, Ath10k Driver

Phoronix: FreeBSD Back To Seeing Progress On 802.11ac WiFi Support, Ath10k Driver

Longtime FreeBSD/Linux network stack developer and former Qualcomm Atheros engineer Adrian Chadd is back to working on FreeBSD wireless networking improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be great to see 802.11 AC or AX support on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD. As it stands now only a few AC cards are supported at wireless n speeds.

Comment

Here in the UK, I don't think I have encountered a wifi access point past 802.11g yet.

Those that are, (ExCeL, NEC conference centres?) are so oversaturated with people leaving wifi enabled on their phones that you barely get any packets, let alone fast ones.

So yeah, good to have but I don't feel I am in any rush. My personal preference is that FreeBSD ditches that scrappy wpa_supplicant stuff and integrates it with the standard ifconfig tool (like OpenBSD has done).

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Here in the UK, I don't think I have encountered a wifi access point past 802.11g yet.

Those that are, (ExCeL, NEC conference centres?) are so oversaturated with people leaving wifi enabled on their phones that you barely get any packets, let alone fast ones.

So yeah, good to have but I don't feel I am in any rush. My personal preference is that FreeBSD ditches that scrappy wpa_supplicant stuff and integrates it with the standard ifconfig tool (like OpenBSD has done).
        Sorry, but to me that sounds like a crime against computing ... (802.11g). Maybe it's ok for one person/one device, but that bandwidth is shared ...

Comment

Working...
        X