FreeBSD Getting Close To Finally Migrating Development From Subversion To Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Git does not require a server. For many, setting up a server infrastructure is a million times harder than ad hoc repositories in local directories.
    Yeah but I need a central server (we are a few devs at work), so still explain to me how git is less complex than svn for me. That is the whole premise, I'm claiming that svn is less complex for my use case and I can see no benefits of git for my use case but still people are claiming that svn needs to die so please again explain or accept that git is not a fit for all (and neither is svn).

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
      Yeah but I need a central server (we are a few devs at work)
      You obviously don't understand how git works. Having a few devs doesn't require a central server.

Comment

How hilarious. I've used git and scm-manager as the web interface, on FreeBSD, for more than a decade, for my own repos. I don't mind svn, hg or rcs - can't stand CVS, but that's a rant for another day. But really, the main reason I use git is all of my repos get backed up from the FreeBSD instance and I can access it from any of the machines on my home network without bother. Git's easier to branch (in my opinion) and at this point the commands are hardwired in my fingers. in the last decade, I can count on one hand the number of issues I've had and all of them were user error.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

You obviously don't understand how git works. Having a few devs doesn't require a central server.
          We are a company, we want to have all the source code that all devs (including me) work on stored on a central server that is up to date at all times. What does that have to do with my knowledge of how git works?

Comment

Working...
          X