X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

I was replying to another person, in that context my answer makes sense.
    Fair enough.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Dude/dudette - "proper desktop version" is out-of-scope non-problem for BSD OS'es. Ports are there, install what you like. "You like KDE - then use it and your experience is much the same as in Linux". Same with Mate, XFCE and so forth.

If you need your hands being held: use Mac's. Or Haiku, I suppose. Cannot even understand why you had to drag BSD's into your statement.
    I was replying to another person, in that context my answer makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    While I don't disagree with your statement, my only point is BSDs are constantly failed to have a proper desktop version while HAIKU is entirely focus on the desktop use.
    Dude/dudette - "proper desktop version" is out-of-scope non-problem for BSD OS'es. Ports are there, install what you like. "You like KDE - then use it and your experience is much the same as in Linux". Same with Mate, XFCE and so forth.

If you need your hands being held: use Mac's. Or Haiku, I suppose. Cannot even understand why you had to drag BSD's into your statement.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    At a certain point Haiku will be the only viable alternative to Linux...
    You meant: After systemd has completely "eaten up" Linux, it will become the only viable alternative to BSD's?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Can you take a screenshot of it playing youtube videos?
    I will, next time I boot up Haiku

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I can surf the modern internet just fine on Haiku. The standard browser is pretty good nowadays and QupZilla/Falkon (from the KDE project - yes, Qt works on Haiku) is even better.
    Can you take a screenshot of it playing youtube videos?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

From the Ars review, you can't surf the modern internet on Haiku, so I seriously doubt there are many desktop users. You can on BSD.
    I can surf the modern internet just fine on Haiku. The standard browser is pretty good nowadays and QupZilla/Falkon (from the KDE project - yes, Qt works on Haiku) is even better.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Lolwut? I'm pretty sure Haiku has more desktop users than all of the BSD's combined. BSD is bigger than Haiku on servers, but Haiku isn't a server distribution anyway.
    From the Ars review, you can't surf the modern internet on Haiku, so I seriously doubt there are many desktop users. You can on BSD.

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    I wonder why them instead of creating a GPU driver from scratch just don't create a compatibility layer with the mesa stack like WINE does with the Win DLL...
    They have a BSD compatibility layer to be able to provide drivers. They could not use Linux simply because it is a mess and not a stable API, making porting much much harder.

It would be cool though if WDDM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...y_Driver_Model) could be supported somehow. I do think that it would be a terribly difficult task to achieve.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    I wonder why them instead of creating a GPU driver from scratch just don't create a compatibility layer with the mesa stack like WINE does with the Win DLL...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X