NVIDIA, Intel Post New Windows 10 Graphics Drivers For WSL2 Linux App Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

But I think you are failing to mention that the early versions of OpenGL was intended for things like CAD. It wasn't until -much- later that it was optimized for gaming. And I'm at least reasonably certain GLide support in game came first.
    I think I mentioned that when I said:

3Dfx....required GLide ports to "miniGL". OpenGL prior to that was mostly relegated to CPU-only implementations, and only professional graphics applications. Before Quake, there wasn't really any 3D hardware rendering in games.
    GLquake supported a few different OpenGL cards, just that 3Dfx Voodoo 1 was the first to do hardware rendering with any kind of decent texture filtering. And then you have anisotropic filtering which was offered on the Riva 128 before anything from 3Dfx. I remember Rendition Verite (I don't have an accented-e key) cards at the time, and they were just dog-doody. Ditto for the Rage II-era stuff. They just couldn't do any kind of decent 3D realtime graphics in comparison. ATI had some nice capture cards though. Matrox had a limited niche on a couple cards but they were expensive for what you got.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Revisionist crap....
      Believe what you want, but it's the hard truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post
        Matrox had a limited niche on a couple cards but they were expensive for what you got.
        Oh yeah, the Parhelia, interesting card but 2 years too late to market.

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post
          ..., adding DX support for Linux just means porting game code is easier.
          This is not adding DX support to Linux, is is adding DX support for Linux on Windows. Add to this the work done to add OpenGL on top of DX gives you the ability to run accelerated GUI Linux apps on Windows within the WSL layer.

Comment

closed source DX12 support on wsl2? ahh I see they want developers to not switch to Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post

This is not adding DX support to Linux, is is adding DX support for Linux on Windows. Add to this the work done to add OpenGL on top of DX gives you the ability to run accelerated GUI Linux apps on Windows within the WSL layer.
              What you're talking about has big-picture implications. If they decide they want to port more code to their own Linux kernel, they can. Currently the HAL in the Windows Kernel allows them to connect the hardware bits to a UMD in the users choice of Linux distro container, via the KMD through VMbus. Since they're compiling their own kernel, they could end up moving the Windows kernel and driver bits into their Linux kernel and then you'd have a full Microsoft Linux OS with DX support - not that they would, but they certainly could if they wanted to since the only thing between the hardware and their Linux kernel is the kernel space of Windows and the direct hardware drivers and the paravirtualization layers. It's all outlined on the page under the DxCore and D3D12 on Linux section here: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/direc...x-heart-linux/

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                So, Microsoft has seen Linux as a potential threat as ML developers might choose the platform in windows detriment.

Now, they've managed to implement a compatibility layer so that the developer stays on windows.
                Precisely.

Comment

Working...
                X