FreeBSD Adopts A New Code of Conduct Based On The LLVM CoC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    That person will have characteristics and beliefs that are unique to that person.. that is ok.
    Having wrong beliefs is not OK, especially on the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Having wrong beliefs is not OK, especially on the Internet.
      Yeah.. that is something people need to let go of too. Tolerance is accepting someone will have a belief that is different from you. It is ok to disagree.

The polarization of society today makes discussing anything in an open way difficult. People even live in fear of it. It's not a good thing.

It's any topic too.. look at Covid.. either it's the end of man kind and everyone is going to die or it's swine flu 2020 and no big deal. If you have any opinion other than that some people will get upset with you. Well.. I'm sorry, I think the truth is somewhere in between those two extremes. I think the cause is filter bubbles and social echo chambers.
      Last edited by k1e0x; 10 June 2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
        Yeah.. that is something people need to let go of too. Tolerance is accepting someone will have a belief that is different from you. It is ok to disagree.
        Tolerance is accepting that convincing people isn't as easy as providing evidence, and that in many cases it's irrelevant to convince others of what is true and what isn't.

For example I don't care about the stance on Earth's shape (it's turtles all the way down) or opinions on Moon landings (hah, you fools believe the Moon is real) of the average coworker, we are not working in a field where that matters.

The polarization of society today makes discussing anything in an open way difficult. People even live in fear of it. It's not a good thing.
        This is not a new phenomenon. Discussing anything in an open way has always been difficult.

It may sound strange to a youngling, but this day and age is so much easier to discuss something in an open way with someone else, thanks to communication technology connecting the rare smart people together so they can actually discuss stuff, while in the past they would only have unwashed plebs around them and you can't talk with someone that thinks the only topics worth discussing is the opposite sex and sports or gossip.

If there is something that makes you wish the world to burn, that is it.

It's any topic too.. look at Covid.. either it's the end of man kind and everyone is going to die or it's swine flu 2020 and no big deal.
        It will sure cull a lot of very elderly, so it will be a godsend for many, especially in this day and age where the medical technology keeps alive the barely functional body of people whose mind has been dead for many years.

It's kind of sad, but this isn't the end of the world.

It's an useful warning call though, because while it's perfectly fine to fumble around this time, the next pandemic could be much more dangerous and fapping around for months before doing anything noteworthy about a pandemic will be really bad.

Comment

Tolerance is accepting that convincing people isn't as easy as providing evidence, and that in many cases it's irrelevant to convince others of what is true and what isn't.

For example I don't care about the stance on Earth's shape (it's turtles all the way down) or opinions on Moon landings (hah, you fools believe the Moon is real) of the average coworker, we are not working in a field where that matters.

This is not a new phenomenon. Discussing anything in an open way has always been difficult.

It may sound strange to a youngling, but this day and age is so much easier to discuss something in an open way with someone else, thanks to communication technology connecting the rare smart people together so they can actually discuss stuff, while in the past they would only have unwashed plebs around them and you can't talk with someone that thinks the only topics worth discussing is the opposite sex and sports or gossip.

If there is something that makes you wish the world to burn, that is it.

It will sure cull a lot of very elderly, so it will be a godsend for many, especially in this day and age where the medical technology keeps alive the barely functional body of people whose mind has been dead for many years.

It's kind of sad, but this isn't the end of the world.

It's an useful warning call though, because while it's perfectly fine to fumble around this time, the next pandemic could be much more dangerous and fapping around for months before doing anything noteworthy about a pandemic will be really bad.
          You're missing the point. It's ok to disagree with people. I do it all the time with my friends. They can hold different viewpoints than I do and that is perfectly ok. It's ok to be friends even if you believe that person holds wrong beliefs. There is a point where you can say, I disagree.. and that is simply enough.

Hell some of my friends we hold raging arguments from time to time.. it's fun.. on-lookers get all concerned too, it's cute. lol In the end we just laugh.

What isn't ok is forcing your beliefs on other people. We have to accept and allow people to believe what they want, and in most cases without shame or ostracism. I can believe someones viewpoints are pretty disgusting personally.. and still not hate them for it.

The alternative is our cultural overlords will decide what our proper beliefs are and wrong think will be a crime. It will also mean the death of philosophy as a science. I don't find that an acceptable future to live in.
          Last edited by k1e0x; 10 June 2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

You can install Steam on Freebsd now!
            Thank you - this is very good news.

Just noticed too that synergy (iKVM to share mouse and keyboard across multiple systems) now works great from the native FreeBSD pkg on my main FreeBSD desktop and the macbook off to the side after Catalina upgrades. This is also very good. Ultimate desktop.

Using FreeBSD as the primary workstation so far has been an awesome experience. (Im about 8 months in now, and its been faultless). Only real negative has been trying to get Android development running natively ... but thats cool, I just jump into a linux VM under bhyve thats all setup for Android work when I really need to go there.

So this CoC update is icing on the cake
            happy BSD camper here
            long live FreeBSD

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

that might escalate rather quickly. "Oh you like Russian Summer I guess?...hello comrade"
              I like Shitty-Skiing-Weather kind of summer. Luckily it's kind of weather we get here all-year-round, excepting, July. Now July pisses me off, bad, I get cranky and mad with everybody praising their fucking 'We finally see some sun' celebrators.. Glad it's just one month off of twelve.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

I like Shitty-Skiing-Weather kind of summer. Luckily it's kind of weather we get here all-year-round, excepting, July. Now July pisses me off, bad, I get cranky and mad with everybody praising their fucking 'We finally see some sun' celebrators.. Glad it's just one month off of twelve.
                Round my parts, July is what's known as "Dammit, there's still August and September. October can't get here fast enough." We're just getting into the 90-100F temps....+ or - 2C in the 35C range...with the temps peaking around 45C within in the next 40 days. The worst part is it's humid heat.

I don't want to discuss that any more. I'm getting a just thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

I also prefer max 25C.

Comment

hermaphrodites have no sex, by definition. Asexual reproduction and all that.

Are we discussing slugs or alien lifeforms now? Because I was under the strong impression that humans weren't a hermaphrodite species.
                    Starship, I thought you be the right one to discuss this matter. Or is it you Hitler coming back from the Aldebaran System?

We have humans with this condition today it is called intersex https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 11 June 2020, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                      Or is it you Hitler coming back from the Aldebaran System?
                      Hah, you believe Hitler actually existed. Nazi germany was a jew hoax.

More new-age bullshit, we don't need more and more letters to add to LGBTQ acronym, for chrissake. They are creating new minorities, that's the opposite of integration. Why people is so fucking stupid.

My main point does not change. People in the state registry should be categorized with what they are closest to at the biological level, as that's the only thing that matters for the state.

If for some strange reason it's not possible to neatly categorize them as "male" of "female" then they get a both "M" and a "F" in their file as they are more or less both and will be at risk for both male and female illnesses to some extent. That's all there is to it, and all a state should need to care about.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 11 June 2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X