Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Adopts A New Code of Conduct Based On The LLVM CoC

Phoronix: FreeBSD Adopts A New Code of Conduct Based On The LLVM CoC

Following a survey of FreeBSD developers gauging interest in a new Code of Conduct and then a follow-up survey of keeping their current CoC versus adopting one similar to the LLVM or Go projects, FreeBSD has now settled on a new document...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll get me popcorn.

Comment

New one looks far more reasonable.

Good job in actually fixing a really stupid mistake brought on by a vocal minority.

Comment

You can install Steam on Freebsd now! Just found this yesterday and been testing it for a bit: Source games work, but VAC servers crash the game. Left 4 Dead 2 single player is fine and you can join non-VAC server in TF2. Some unity games work, but I don't have sound...could be just my machine. Check this out, it's crazy!

The port and package are games/linux-steam-utils

Steam launcher for FreeBSD. Contribute to shkhln/linuxulator-steam-utils development by creating an account on GitHub.

Lots of good info in this forum thread too: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/s...n-redux.72140/

P.S. I had to install webfonts for text to be legible on login
        Last edited by scratchi; 09 June 2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav
          Wow COC that is not based on postmodern neo-marxist ideas. Is it even possible in 21st century?
          Marxism and postmodernism are fundamentally incompatible, since Marx's philosophy is based on science and postmodernism rejects science.

Now, the new CoC says essentially the same things as the old one, just in a less politically-marked way. It may look less political but, fundamentally, it's still the same. I find it better formulated this way (I do not like activist language) but this does not change the fact that anti-discrimination activists won, and it's great.
          Last edited by ALRBP; 09 June 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

The new one looks far better and far more reasonable. But it’s a narrow victory, really.

Those geek feminism g{uy,irl}s are really freaked about their gender issues. The new verbiage is rather quite neutral.

Comment

There was really nothing wrong with the old one, besides maybe the "don't use simulated physical contact such as *hugs*". That was a little extra. The new one basically says the same thing (as ALRBP mentioned), just in not the same very "absolute" terms as the original.

But literally the only people that would have had a problem with the old one are people who do the exact things it said not to. If you were polite and courteous to others, the original CoC would not impact your discussion in any possible way. Being verbally abusive is a problem throughout the open-source community. It's a shame that gaining the ability to be slightly-more-shitty to other people is considered a "narrow victory".

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
                But literally the only people that would have had a problem with the old one are people who do the exact things it said not to.
                Nah I found the old one to be very exclusive, I felt I would not be welcome in the project if I was not some kind of "alternative".

The new one does say the same things, without the weird specifics.
                There is really nothing not covered by:
                • be friendly and patient,
                • be welcoming,
                • be considerate,
                • be respectful,
                • be careful in the words that you choose and be kind to others

Comment

Aw gee, I was hoping the title was going to be "FreeBSD Can Finally Run Reliably on YOUR Computer, Will!". Guess I can wait a little longer...

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                    Nah I found the old one to be very exclusive, I felt I would not be welcome in the project if I was not some kind of "alternative".
                    I'm just curious, could you please point out which aspects you found exclusive?

Last edited by AmericanLocomotive; 09 June 2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X