Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance On The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Do you got a screenshot or name of test? When a test is reported to have mirror problems, I update them. But sometimes mirrors are just temporarily down, etc. All my tests are cached on LAN via Phoromatic so don't necessarily spot down mirrors / bad URLs right away.
    The Windows script is still running. I will post some pictures after it completes.

Comment

*Featured! Now a big boo!

Comment

Do you got a screenshot or name of test? When a test is reported to have mirror problems, I update them. But sometimes mirrors are just temporarily down, etc. All my tests are cached on LAN via Phoromatic so don't necessarily spot down mirrors / bad URLs right away.
        https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...NI-2005229NI98

Unigine would download but fail checksum on all mirrors.

Neatbench was the same way.

decapobench tried all the mirrors and couldn't locate.

Image below is the Paraview error.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...NI-2005229NI98

Unigine would download but fail checksum on all mirrors.

Neatbench was the same way.

decapobench tried all the mirrors and couldn't locate.

Image below is the Paraview error.

Unigine. neatbench, dacapobench should all be fixed next time you run `phoronix-test-suite openbenchmarking-refresh`. For ParaView you need to install a Microsoft file -- it should be mentioned in the output when you are installing the test.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            Windows 10 breaks some of the most important things for me in terms of usability: the UI.

They continue to obfuscate things that you might be looking at (hide extensions means someone will think they've downloaded and opened Meme.jpg but it's actually Meme.exe) and break things like the Start Menu.
            Hiding the extensions is a trade-off. It makes it harder to identify the file type, but it also makes it harder for users to "break" the file by renaming it and changing the extension. The real problem is that too much behaviour is driven by the extension alone.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

Hiding the extensions is a trade-off. It makes it harder to identify the file type, but it also makes it harder for users to "break" the file by renaming it and changing the extension. The real problem is that too much behaviour is driven by the extension alone.
              The thing is, modern versions of Windows alert and harass you when you go to change the file extension. It makes you click an "Ok" button before it'll allow you to change it. I get even that won't stop some users from "accidentally" changing extensions, though.

I feel that if you want to hide file extensions, then the file type should be emblazoned across the icon somewhere. Windows already sort of does this with shortcuts. It puts a little arrow indicating that it's not the actual file/folder. I don't see why it couldn't just overlay the file extension over the icon somewhere.

Comment

Unigine. neatbench, dacapobench should all be fixed next time you run `phoronix-test-suite openbenchmarking-refresh`. For ParaView you need to install a Microsoft file -- it should be mentioned in the output when you are installing the test.
                Thanks. I will refresh it and give it another spin.

The only pop up I can remember from the install was for Microsoft C++ 14. Windows 10 blocked it saying it was an older version that was being installed and that if I really wanted it, I would have to go back and uninstall the current version of MS C before version 14 could be done. I thought I fixed that, but let me go back and check that C version again.

Thanks for the quick turnaround.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  I know about that. When I say that Microsoft keeps breaking their stuff, I'm not asking for workarounds. If I want to customize the experience to work better for me then I'll just use Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Both the things you refer to can be changed easily. Gnome's ui is far worse in many aspects
                    Linux users customize their desktops to a far greater extent and tend to have saner defaults, including security settings.
                    And Gnome is infinitely more customizable than Windows UI.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

Linux users customize their desktops to a far greater extent and tend to have saner defaults, including security settings.
                      And Gnome is infinitely more customizable than Windows UI.
                      Is it? I'd say yes and no. You can change a lot with extensions and themes, but most of them are unsupported by the Gnome devs and can break with new releases.
                      Just like Windows. Except Windows is less likely to introduce breaking changes.

PS: I wasn't talking about security, but these days if you don't do anything reckless Windows is fairly secure for daily usage.

Comment

Working...
                      X