No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance On The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's something really broken in Ubuntu. Or perhaps mitigations are enabled while on Windows policy is not so strict (it's spyware after all). Windows gets slower and slower without a reason, but it's obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Driver support under Linux is ... let's say far from perfect as indicated ... by the very article we're discussing.
      True but in the case of AMD's GPU drivers they have had as many or more issues under Windows. For a long time AMD's drivers have been universally bad. The good thing is that we are seeing progress, lots of progress really. Hopefully with the success of Ryzen and money in the bank drivers will get the attention needed.
      I mean if the CPU doesn't work perfectly under Linux what else is left to discuss? And don't get me started on GPU drivers in Linux which is one major pain. Compare the features of the AMD Radeon Adrenalin drivers under Windows and what we have under Linux.
      Noting works perfectly. When Mobile Ryzen first came out I had a Windows 10 install that was just crap. Within 6 months Linux was a superior choice even with all of hte ongoing driver issues.
      • Monitoring? Barely anything.
      • Onscreen overlay/HUD? Hardly anything.
      • Overclocking/downclocing? Welcome console.
      • A fan curve? Don't get me started how horribly bad this feature is implemented under Linux.
      • Zero RPM on/off? Not supported.
      • Game recording and streaming? Not supported.
      • Games profiles? Not supported.
      Some of us are not the sort of gamer that even worries about this. In fact I wouldn't care one way or the other is those features ever came to Linux.
      The only piece of equipment which works in Linux close to 100% is the NIC, though to be fair various offload features are often not available in Linux but that's not a big concern for average users.

And speaking of "creativity in audio, vidio, graphics and office related tasks." - you must be joking, right? The Adobe/Sony/Corel suites are missing entirely.
      And missing they can remain. Again not everybody has the same use case and can get by perfectly well with the Linux solutions. Interestingly on Mac your AMD GPU drivers have few features at all and you know what nobody cares over there. I never understood the need to strive for parity with Windows when we are talking about features few if any would use.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
        So?
        You really think Average Joe has to go through years of training to use Linux just to play a game or watch a movie, when it can be done with a few clicks on other OSes?

Probably not. But so what?
        Ditto

Yes. So?
        Ditto

Probably not. But so what?
        Ditto and Mew

The only OS that has better hardware support is Windows. But mostly on x86 platform.
        Considering the size of the userbase Linux has fantastic support on most laptops and desktops.
        And you don't want the userbase to grow?

There are good alternatives.
        Most of them are unstable, not on-par and require re-learning.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          True but in the case of AMD's GPU drivers they have had as many or more issues under Windows. For a long time AMD's drivers have been universally bad. The good thing is that we are seeing progress, lots of progress really. Hopefully with the success of Ryzen and money in the bank drivers will get the attention needed.
          Sadly, it's worse on Linux at times.

Mesa 19.1+ hangs when using VA-API to encode. Is this progress???

Comment

Hi birdie

I did not indicate perfect driver support.
            As this article also points out, the driver support is normally so good that Linux beats windows.
            For well-known hardware, and sometimes not even 100%.

For not-well-known hardware (like capture cards), then it's the inverse.

Quite a bit it appears.
            This is still early support. And AMD has a tendency to improve their drivers on linux after initial release.
            This is true though.

GPU drivers are working better than ever before.
            And in general you can run linux software on most Nvidia and AMD hardware.
            This is true too, except for this little VA-API issue that gets on my nerves.

Name a non windows platform that has better general hardware support than linux.
            None but why are you excluding Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Ditto

Comment

You really think Average Joe has to go through years of training to use Linux just to play a game or watch a movie, when it can be done with a few clicks on other OSes?
                To be honest. I think that the future of desktop OS'es are for the small minority users that do creative work. The average Joe will use a Smartphone, Tablet or gaming console.

And you don't want the userbase to grow?
                Yes. I would love the crowd of creative users to use Linux.
                Whether they are developers of ​​​​​​:
                • Games
                • Graphics and art
                • Applications
                • Music
                • Movies
                Most of them are unstable, not on-par and require re-learning.
                I have used kdenlive for video editting and its very stable IMO. But there are also closed source professional Video editting software for linux now.
                I have used Blender on Linux for 3D design and it is also very stable.
                I have used Krita, Inkscape and Gimp for Graphics and they are also very stable.
                I have used LMMS for making music on Linux and its also very stable.
                LibreOffice, OnlyOffice and WPSOffice are pretty good alternatives for MS Office. And they are also very stable.

All software require learning. But most of the above mentioned software don't require much re-learning.

Comment

Btw. Ubuntu doesn't represent Linux. They're using strange configs not optimal for desktops. Fedora would be more representative.

Comment

For well-known hardware, and sometimes not even 100%.
                    I'm not sure I understand. Not even 100% what?

For not-well-known hardware (like capture cards), then it's the inverse.
                    But there are capture cards that work on Linux. So its not like you are completely out of luck.

None but why are you excluding Windows?
                    Because windows has much better desktop hardware support.
                    If Linux is an alternative for windows on windows hardware, then you should compare it to other alternatives.

Comment

Extinguish: Now that Windows is faster than Linux, there would be no incentive to use Linux anymore.
                      Thought for the day...

However the world's fastest computers run Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X