Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenBSD 6.7 Released With FFS2 Improvements, Better Raspberry Pi + PineBook Pro Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD 6.7 Released With FFS2 Improvements, Better Raspberry Pi + PineBook Pro Support

Phoronix: OpenBSD 6.7 Released With FFS2 Improvements, Better Raspberry Pi + PineBook Pro Support

OpenBSD 6.7 was released this morning as the newest version of this security-minded BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

>still uses a 70s filesystem

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      More importantly, still doesn't have TRIM support for any filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
        + many patches. Making it rock solid. Sometimes it is nice running a UNIX-like OS that isn't one big prototype

Besides, many Linux users don't need anything more than FFS in order to play their Steam games. You can probably save some resources using a more appropriate filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

+ many patches. Making it rock solid. Sometimes it is nice running a UNIX-like OS that isn't one big prototype

Besides, many Linux users don't need anything more than FFS in order to play their Steam games. You can probably save some resources using a more appropriate filesystem.
          Repeat after me: "OpenBSD is not Linux. Linux is not OpenBSD." There is no Steam on OpenBSD. Never will be.

Comment

**Sees a *BSD thread**
            **Reads comments**
            For fucks sake
            For fucks sake

Comment

I love OpenBSD, I think it is a great product, but the perfect release always feels n+1 away. I yearn for the day you can buy a brand new laptop with OpenBSD installed and not be directed towards 2 to 5 year old hardware. VMM shows such promise but is still ssh and serial console access only, no gui. Would love to see Hammer2 a ZFS like file system that detects bit rot. UFS/FFS has gotten better about not corrupting after a power lose but an atomic file system that can not be corrupted like ZFS would be much appreciated. The standard install doesn't even support software raid and full disk encryption used at the same time on the same disks. Maybe next release will be the one I can switch to OpenBSD as my daily driver, maybe not. If only it had more developers and money coming in to it.

Comment

Any chance we could see benchmarks comparing 6.6-RELEASE to 6.7-RELEASE and maybe compare to something else like say FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE or NetBSD 9.0? Or a comparison to say Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04?

Comment

kylew77 I don't know about other BSDs but soon NetBSD will have test suite https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/...45452886048768

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
                    kylew77 I don't know about other BSDs but soon NetBSD will have test suite https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/...45452886048768
                    I tried running the Phoronix test suite on OpenBSD 6.6 but couldn't get it to work. I normally run Linux or nowadays FreeBSD as my daily driver so am not that used to working on an OpenBSD system. I wanted to do a guest article on comparing FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. Some people tell me NetBSD strikes the balance between the performance of FreeBSD and the hardcore security at the cost of performance of OpenBSD I wanted to prove or disprove that hypothesis.

Comment

Working...
                    X