Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD 5.8.1 Released Due To HAMMER2 Bugs, Kernel Fixes

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD 5.8.1 Released Due To HAMMER2 Bugs, Kernel Fixes

DragonFlyBSD 5.8 debuted in March while now shipping is v5.8.1 as the latest update for this BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD 5.8.1 Released Due To HAMMER2 Bugs, Kernel Fixes
    I seriously hope not

Comment

Why isn’t HAMMER2 used In the Linux world? It seems decent file system.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
        Why isn’t HAMMER2 used In the Linux world? It seems decent file system.
        Does it have any compelling features that aren't available in Linux right now?

Comment

Yes. It seems to have lower overhead than ZFS but still having the important features. For instance, the Home user wants very reliable FS but doesn't need all those features of ZFS (Features are paid for in performance and overhead).

Comment

ZFS "overhead" is largely a legend, unless you really need some RAM hungry functionality. Turn these off and it's like other file systems in terms of "overhead".

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Does it have any compelling features that aren't available in Linux right now?
              Fine-grained history is a pretty good one. It gives you a history of every single transaction on a file and a way to restore a file to any previous version. Obviously this would fill up any disk capacity pretty quick, so the default is 24h, and it does a snapshot by default every day, and a cleanup, as to avoid this, but you can easily change this. It's a bit like a continuous snapshot of any change made to any file, running all the time.

A small one, you can specify maximum time periods for rebalance, defrag, etc. With that, it will do the most it can during that time period and then stop, only to continue at the next period. I find this very cool.

I wouldn't hold my breath of this fs ever landing on linux, or even and other BSD than dragonfly.

Comment

Working...
              X