Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.04 Released To Phase Out Python 2, GCC7 As Base Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.04 Released To Phase Out Python 2, GCC7 As Base Compiler

Phoronix: OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.04 Released To Phase Out Python 2, GCC7 As Base Compiler

OpenIndiana, the open-source operating system built off Illumos and the former open-source Solaris code, is out with version 2020.04 as its newest feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay! Keep up the great work, OI team!

Comment

Out of interest, where is OI used? What are its typical applications/use cases?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Out of interest, where is OI used? What are its typical applications/use cases?
        I believe Joyent (the commercial company who owns NPM), use it (or at least the upstream Illumos) as part of their SmartOS product (https://www.joyent.com/smartos).

So it seems to be for "non-linux" containers.

I imagine that the NPM servers run on it. Which means that many developers end up relying on it without even knowing.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 06 May 2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Joyent (the commercial company who owns NPM)
          What NPM? You meant the one that just got bought by GitHub? https://github.blog/2020-03-16-npm-is-joining-github/

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post

What NPM? You meant the one that just got bought by GitHub? https://github.blog/2020-03-16-npm-is-joining-github/
            Yup. And by GitHub we all mean Microsoft

Node.js is still owned by Joyent (and so is NPM (a subsidiary) for a little while longer until it goes through. AFAIK it hasn't yet, the company is still NPM .inc unless their whole site is hopelessly unmaintained).
            Last edited by kpedersen; 06 May 2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Well, Node.js is owned by the Node.js foundation since 2015 (now the OpenJS foundation). As far as I can tell, NPM, inc. was never owned by Joyent and was a separate startup.

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
                Well, Node.js is owned by the Node.js foundation since 2015 (now the OpenJS foundation). As far as I can tell, NPM, inc. was never owned by Joyent and was a separate startup.
                I believe Joyent owned it but they moved it to the foundation because their goals were not totally in line with the community?

For server space and zones OmniOS specifically is looking pretty good as opposed to Oi but I think Illumos in general has a lot of potential to be a very good platform, it just doesn't have a lot of trust in the enterprise atm however. (and that seems odd given it's heritage but.. it's a mindshare thing)

The ago old saying "Nobody ever got fired by buying IBM" is more true now than ever with IBMHat.
                Last edited by k1e0x; 11 May 2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X