No announcement yet.

Valve Updates Steam Survey Data For April With A Slight Linux Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I game almost exclusively on linux. basically I only use windows for the odd test and to try "Valorant" recently (in it's current state, CSGO is vastly more enjoyable)

I'm not light on CSGO either. in under 3 years steam reports I had it open for almost 3800 hours, though stat tracking says "only" about 2100 hours were actually spent in-server. in that time I managed to get 453,000 kills... I play a lot of deathmatch.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    The only one. This is the best open-source control panel for GPUs so far.
    in my experience, radeon-profile is the nicest for GPU control. very convenient and with the daemon it works without needing higher privileges and it's more intuitive than MSI afterburner IMO

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post

Yes, there are no serious issues with Windows whatsoever. There are literally many thousands with Linux. If it triggers you so much, you probably need to go see a shrink because you deny reality and you also make other people shut up. That's lunacy plain and simple. That's a religion and I don't make Linux my religion. I just use it and see issues with it. I don't claim "it's good for gaming" because it's anything but.
      You are funny the only thing was to ask why this became about AMD vs Nvidia and you spit out hatred and was triggered like there is no tomorrow then when I called you out for your strawmans and false assumptions you not only move the goal post (only the projects I define as important count) no you even called me mentally sick. Calling everybody that disagrees with you "retard" is not enough.

But you can't even read I wrote
      the various other bugtrackers and newsgroups I posted of not even included.
      You wrote:
      98 issues on github? Most crucial open source projects are not even hosted on github.
      Not to mention that you just said all the 28mio public repositories (aka Opensource projects) are worthless according to you millions of man hours all worthless because it's not in the 2 3 projects you care, that is the most narcissistic thing I ever heard in my live you matter more than 40mio users on github. You have some god complex sir, the need for a shrink that you see for me is apparently a projection.

You say we have a religion you don't need one you ARE your own religion and you are god and worth more than everybody else on this planet apparently.

Comment

• Also your God complex goes far over that, your opinion is that windows is easy to mantain or at least not hard... but how hard it is can only be answered subjectively what is difficult to one person is easy to another. So there is no binary True or False answer to that. Therefor if it's hard or easy to maintain is a oppinion, but you call me a liar for me having a different oppinion on this.

Ohh and the point I nearly forgot, which I wanted to bring in my last comment already but thought I keep it civil and only show factual where you are wrong the toxic tone did you introduce, but to make the point I challenge you to proof that you did send patches to the Linux kernel and they got accepted, because if you would be only 1% as toxic to people on that mailing list you would fail the Code of Conductt in place for the linux kernel and would be banned for live. So either you faked a normal non toxic person pretty well there or you got banned after your first comment for live. Calling everybody a retard that disagrees with you would not fly there.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          Also your God complex goes far over that, your opinion is that windows is easy to mantain or at least not hard... but how hard it is can only be answered subjectively what is difficult to one person is easy to another. So there is no binary True or False answer to that. Therefor if it's hard or easy to maintain is a oppinion, but you call me a liar for me having a different oppinion on this.

Ohh and the point I nearly forgot, which I wanted to bring in my last comment already but thought I keep it civil and only show factual where you are wrong the toxic tone did you introduce, but to make the point I challenge you to proof that you did send patches to the Linux kernel and they got accepted, because if you would be only 1% as toxic to people on that mailing list you would fail the Code of Conductt in place for the linux kernel and would be banned for live. So either you faked a normal non toxic person pretty well there or you got banned after your first comment for live. Calling everybody a retard that disagrees with you would not fly there.
          1. I have no God complex
          2. I have literally two dozen tech-illiterate friends who've managed to run Windows for up to 11 years (Windows 7 vanilla, 2009 -> 14 January 2020) without a single issue without my help or input. Again, you're lying about "the difficulty of maintaining Windows".
          3. I regularly communicate with Linus and no one has ever tried to ban me, e.g. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207561#c4 Perhaps you need to stop making things up about me.
          4. I haven't called anyone on Phoronix a retard. Now you not only lying, you're slandering me. I'm adding you to my blacklist as well. So far, you've proven yourself to be biased, an egregious liar, and a person who doesn't respect others and who makes things up.
          Also, could you please install a spell checker? The amount of mistakes in your messages is staggering and it hints at the fact that you simply lack manners and don't respect others. That's not for me - I won't see your lies and baseless accusations any longer.
          Last edited by birdie; 05 May 2020, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Um, what? All I see is RX 580 in a distant tenth place. The first nine are firmly occupied by NVIDIA. And place 18 is the next most popular AMD GPU which is RX 570. Overall, gamers prefer NVIDIA for a reason.
            I am currently using a friends old GTX 770 for the last two years (built my PC in the Fall of 2017). I am currently waiting on AMD to release their next version of their video card before I upgrade. This might should dumb, but I had the hardest time updating my Nvidia driver, but since Ubuntu has included a more recent driver It has made my life a lot easier.
            Hopefully COVID19 doenst delay the next release of cards.

Comment

[LIST=1][*]I have no God complex
              Yes you clearly have if you think that you are more important that thousends of github developers.

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              [LIST=1][*]I have literally two dozen tech-illiterate friends who've managed to run Windows for up to 11 years (Windows 7 vanilla, 2009 -> 14 January 2020) without a single issue without my help or input. Again, you're lying about "the difficulty of maintaining Windows".
              Since when is anecdotal evidence relevant in proving facts? I don't try to proof facts here I just say it's a oppinion if you can bring real proof one way or another to that point I am open to listen, but because it's not a objective messurable value how you as example think about forced reboots and other garbage. Or having to download all your programs from random internet websites instead of a central package repos is all not objective facts everybody comes to their own conclusion but because you have some subjective anecdotal evidence you proven me wrong? Right...
              [*]I regularly communicate with Linus and no one has ever tried to ban me, e.g. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207561#c4 Perhaps you need to stop making things up about me.
              Again you are a bad reader and cherry pick the things that fit your argument and just pretend the stuff that do not fit your argument do not exist because I wrote:
              So either you faked a normal non toxic person pretty well there or you got banned after your first comment for live.
              So yes apperently you did the former then. Nice to know how effecitive this CoC works apperently useless most toxic people can keep participating.

[*]I haven't called anyone on Phoronix a retard.
              Here I have to admit that the first time in this whole discussion you are right and I am wrong I was sure you called not only me but all people here that disagree with you not only fanboys but also libtard,which would be the short version of liberal retard, but I looked over your comments and I must have mixed that up.

I'm adding you to my blacklist as well.
              So do I, bye.

So far, you've proven yourself to be biased, an egregious liar, and a person who doesn't respect others and who makes things up.
              So far I by mistake was wrong ones, nother other than that of your list applies, you on the other hand are full of yourself disregard every work done on github basically as worthless and you cherry pick parts of other comments to create your narritive.

Comment

• Ahh I found the comment, I had in mind, first he kind of called every windows user a "literal idiot":
                [...]
                That's it! Everything is extremely simple/made for literal idiots!
                But there you can argue that he just meant that even a idiot can deal with it but not everybody is a idiot but that would then kill his argument because if not all or most people are this literal idiots why would they then need a gui for idiots? But fine idiots is not a nice term but still acceptable.

[...]
                But then comes the comment I meant primary where he refers to mentally sick people:
                while Wayland is still in a shaky state and it's loved by the users with very special needs (like those who have monitors with varying DPI)
                Here I missed reading the part in between the brackets so I just read "user/people with special needs" which usually refers to mentally ill people. So he is maybe not as toxic as I thought but still toxic enough.

I mean he constantly called me a liar for stated subjective opinions he can't accept that his opinions are not absolute truths, and lies on his side by calling people that disagree with him liars. If I have different definition of the maintainability of a operating system than his then I am surely not lying.

So yes I can admit when I made a mistake, that he said "retard" he can't admit when he made wrong statements like calling my opinions "lies".

Comment

• Why can't I edit the comment if it's not even approved yet:
                  This part should not be in the final part:
                  But then comes the comment I meant primary where he refers to mentally sick people:

Comment

• Originally posted by flockmock View Post
                    Hello guys,
                    I dont want to add another post to the amd/nvidia discussion, I think this is an important topic, but regarding to the low linux-percentage in steam:
                    Nobody is talking about the peripherals. I think it is often too difficult to use a joystick, wheel, gamepad or some other controller in linux. If you want to use something other than keyboard or mouse, you will need to invest some time and effort to make it run smoothly. There are no predefined configurations. Often there is no plug and play like in windows.
                    I tried it a few years ago, I´ve to admit, perhaps situation changed? But if you have installed Windows anyway on a second partition, why not avoid the hassle and use that (apart from the fact that your bad-karma-o-meter is rising up)?
                    I think that is happening quite often....
                    Cheers.
                    Ubuntu has a package called steam-devices. So far both the PS4 controller(over USB) and the Steam Controller(via USB dongle and bluetooth) have worked with it out of the box in all games except for the Steam Controller in Rocket League

Comment

• yet again, linux fails to gain momentum
                      all that because valve gave up on linux native gaming, and instead is focusing on the failure that is "wine" the windows emulator
                      linux is doomed to stay in servers, or as a terminal for programmers only, because the people responsible of its development have NO taste, and they just don't care

valve earlier this week announced end of steam VR for macos, and this chart show that it is the 2nd largest market after windows

either valve is stupid, or they are retarded

anyways, the future of gaming will be iOS/macOS and android, see you there

https://venturebeat.com/wp-content/u...C313&strip=all

and it's just the beginning with 5G and cloud gaming

Desktop gaming will become a niche, and valve should be held responsible

Instead of investing in popularizing Desktop gaming, they waste time and money with linux and VR

All that thanks to stealing 30% of their favorite developer's income

It sure help them stay and invest in desktop gaming

EDIT:

and to the crybabies "i didn't get the survey on my linux pro gaming PC"
                      https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...ktop/worldwide

macOS => rising
                      windows => users moving to mobile/android/ios/mac
                      linux going extinct
                      Last edited by Scellow; 06 May 2020, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X