No announcement yet.

ReactOS Upgrades Its Build Environment - Shifting To A Much Newer GCC Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS Upgrades Its Build Environment - Shifting To A Much Newer GCC Compiler

Phoronix: ReactOS Upgrades Its Build Environment - Shifting To A Much Newer GCC Compiler

The "open-source Windows" ReactOS project has upgraded its build environment leading to much newer versions of key compiler toolchain components...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...vironment-GCC8

This should yield some nice performance gains.

I'm sure Michael already has a few benchmarks planned

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      This should yield some nice performance gains.

I'm sure Michael already has a few benchmarks planned
      I like that idea! Maybe with Windows XP and 10 added for a historical comparison.

Comment

Bah .. if they want to be compatible with Microsoft they should be using the clang-cl.

Comment

Originally posted by wikinevick View Post
          Bah .. if they want to be compatible with Microsoft they should be using the clang-cl.
          ReactOS also supports building with Visual Studio, which is about as compatible-with-Microsoft as you can get.

Comment

I find this project really fascinating. Albeit not using it. Has someone encountered a situation where wine was not working but ReactOS?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.N0 View Post

I like that idea! Maybe with Windows XP and 10 added for a historical comparison.
              I'm in favor of this!

Comment

Is there anyone in some remote corner of the world who uses this distribution?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                  Is there anyone in some remote corner of the world who uses this distribution?
                  It's not a distribution of Linux if that's what you're implying.
                  And no, not really.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    I find this project really fascinating. Albeit not using it. Has someone encountered a situation where wine was not working but ReactOS?
                    I remember reading a story where someone rolled out ReactOS to replace Windows XP in a kiosk system. I don't understand why you'd want to do that however, maybe there is unique hardware which requires special drivers which somehow work on ReactOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X