Rust-Written Redox OS Booting The 128-Thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Written Redox OS Booting The 128-Thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

Phoronix: Rust-Written Redox OS Booting The 128-Thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

The Rust language focused Redox OS open-source operating system is now able to boot the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-core/128-thread processor and run with full multi-threading capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But can it run Crysis?

Comment

GNU Hurd will never become useful it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        Hurd was always more aspirational than operational. And we should let the dreamers dream, while not being held hostage to the fantasy.

Comment

I can see the code getting very regular updates,

would be cool to have (way) more frequent releases though.

I really like this project, that might become huge.

Comment

I don't know. It has Vim and a C compiler. Makes it fine for much of my purposes XD

Still quite excited about Redox OS. Sodium can possibly replace Vim and rustc might be able to replace a C compiler one day.

Comment

The pace is incredible! It shows how fast you can develop and refactor code in Rust and have many security guarantees at compile time. Like memory safety and free of data races. C and C++ code gets refactored much more carefully which slows down development and innovation. GNU Hurd is an good example.
              Last edited by Steffo; 19 April 2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Nothing says "I don't know anything about Hurd" more than this. The mere existence of its design is a success in itself. You could even draw some parallels with Redox...

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Just a note: Memory safety and data races in Rust, or any kind of a programming language at all, can be guaranteed only as long as the code accurately models the logical structure of the program's input. In case of sufficiently complex inputs, especially those that are related to meta-programming, it is impossible to guarantee memory safety or absence of data races in any programming language in case the input "escapes the containment sandbox".
                  Can you show a failed memory safety example in safe rust?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    The pace is incredible! It shows how fast you can develop and refactor code in Rust and have many security guarantees at compile time. Like memory safety and free of data races. C and C++ code gets refactored much more carefully which slows down development and innovation. GNU Hurd is an good example.
                    C isn't the main problem with GNU Hurd, GNU Hurd has design issues and a lack of interested contributors. Many other C and C++ projects are developed far more rapidly.

I'm trying to learn Rust myself, and I think it's a good language.

Comment

Working...
                    X